internal coil spring compressor

I purchased an internal spring compressor to get the coil springs back in my 72 MC and all went pretty well , compressor worked perfectly spring went right in and I attached the upper and lower ball joints then proceded to dissassemble the spring compressor, removed long threaded rod then the lower fork and now I have the top piece of the compressor with the 2 hook arms stuck inside my spring. How the heck do I get it out? is there a trick or something Im missing ? I realize I can enlarge the hole for the shock on the lower arm but they look so good all powder coated and clean that I hate to start hacking into them. Please help.....

it may be pinched between the coils, if you can move it, try to spin it down like a nut on a bolt

if it is pinched between the coils you may have to take the spring back out and reposition the compressor and re-install the spring so the fork is farther down so it won't get pinched in the coils

There isn't a lot of room but it will go through that little hole. I scratched my head a couple times with the first set I did. A twist to the left...a smidge to the right...stick out your tongue and voila...there it is! lol

FYI, I didn't use the top portion of the compressor, only the bottom. I read on a chevelle site once that by removing the top clamps of the compressor, then install a big washer on the long bolt and feed the bolt down thru the upper shock hole. (I reemed this hole slightly with a rat tail file)Then install the bottom clamps of the compressor about a third of the way up from the bottom of the coil and get the long bolt started and ratchet the spring into place. Once the spring is in place & lower control arm is secured, remove the long bolt and the bottom section of the compressor falls out (almost) as you've seen. The bottom section of the compressor folds correctly for easy removal. The top section does not.

Great idea Murphy. Ill definately try that on the other side once I get this upper piece out. My compressor consists of a long bolt that attaches to the upper portion which is a retangular block with a long and a short hooked arm at each end that hook onto the spring then theres a forked shape piece that slides through the spring and catches the bottom end of the long bolt. As I said in my first post it worked great just cant get the upper piece out from the inside of the spring. Going to try releasing some of the spring pressure today and see if I can get it into a straight position to drop out of the bottom, But on the other side Im using Murphys idea.

My compressor is like the one Murphy posted. Never used the one with the bottom block. But the top piece looks the same. If it's not stuck in between the coils it will come out. You may have to rotate it down a couple coils to get it flipped around and in position to go out the bottom hole.

I know what I have to do I just have to release some tension on the spring so I can flip the hooks over then it will straighten out and slip right out the bottom. Had me baffled for a while trying to figure it out. Heres a pic

[img:left]https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5273BFAC1F9AEA0C!107&authkey=!ALXW_Oiw0bFHYbs[/img]

Man I have that exact compressor and I know exactly what you mean. I ended up always having to use a pry bar to pop one of the hooks down a couple coils so I could orient the top piece vertically and drop it out that way. The rectangular block is juuuuuuust a hair too big to fit through the stock shock hole the way it's supposed to be used in the spring. Good luck with the other side. I've always had to throw my very best swear words at it.

other sides done tok 15 minutes as opposed to 3 hours on the first one. Well live and learn. now i have to do the bearings, rotors, backing plates and brake system.

Waiting for book to come in the mail first.