Electric Fans

luke_501

I have a question... I want to replace my stock fan with a dual electric fan. Do i still need my large fan shroud or can this be eliminated? Also, Are the electric fans really that more efficient and better for keeping things cooler? Any help would be great! thanks in advance!

Tell you what a guy had at a cruise night last week I thought was a great idea, he had an electric fan in behind the stock fan tucked into the shroud. Usually when ther is an electric fan in place of the factory the engine bay looks empty IMO. Especially with our wind tunnel of a shroud lol

I tried for years to get an electric fan setup to function correctly on my big-block, but was always on edge with slow traffic speeds. It worked great when the car had sufficient forward motion (basically it wasn't even on at that point), but after exiting the freeway temps would climb. It was pretty good at keeping the engine from going over 210 degrees, but the engine ran pretty crappy at that temp, and running AC was out of the question.

I recently changed back to the stock system with a new thermal clutch fan, and it stays closer to 180 all the time. I don't notice any decrease in performance or economy. Now I have a 500 horsepower motor driving my fan...that's hard to match with electric motors.

I have 2 Spal electric fans set up a pusher fans and kept the fan shroud and stock clutch fan. I use the electric fans as auxiliary cooling in stop and go traffic. That set up keeps my BB quite cool.

I installed 2 electric fans and removed the shroud. But then again I'm not going for the stock look. Just make sure you use a good fan controller. I initially used a cheaper one and burnt it up after 5 years. I just installed a Ron Francis controller at about 3 times the cost but the differences between the 2 are immense.

One nice thing about removing the shroud is all the extra space to crawl in there and clean! lol

Not sure how that fancy controller works, but here was my dilemma: my controller was an adjustable unit and I could dial in what temp I wanted the fans to come on. Sounded perfect.

The problem is when the fans SHUT OFF. It had to bring the temp down 20 degrees before they shut off.

For example, I am running a 180 degree thermostat, and figured I wanted the fans to come on at around 190 before things got too hot. The problem then was that the fans wanted to stay on until the temp got to 170, which was never going to happen when the thermostat was keeping the temp at 180...so once the fans kicked in, they stayed on forever. Big constant load on the alternator all the time that way, and it had trouble keeping up when the engine was at idle speeds. I had to set the fans to come on at 200+ so the fans didn't run at normal operating temperature, and I just wasn't comfortable seeing the temp gauge go that high all the time.

I tried running a 160 thermostat, but my engine likes to run at 180 even with the colder stat. Maybe it was my stock alternator that couldn't provide enough juice, or simply not enough airflow from my electric fan (2 speed Lincoln Mk fan), but it just made me nervous.

An interesting aside is if you look in the Hayden electric fan catalog, they have no electric fan setup to recommend for big-block applications. They have booster fans to recommend, but no electrics by themselves.

my fans turn on at 210, off at 185 with a 180 stat, my 454 likes to run and runs best at 190-195

200-210 doesn't bother me, all newer cars are running 210+, I get nervous at 220+ eek

Hmm...

I was having trouble at the 200+ temps with my idle mixture...it was obviously running rich. It didn't idle well, and I was aware of the exhaust fumes. I couldn't seem to find a happy medium on the mixture to make it happy at both 180 and 210.

This might be getting a little too technical. (LOL)

My point was the electric setup on mine wasn't perfect. It let the temps swing from low to high, caused drivability issues and made me worry. I spent most of my driving time with an eyeball glued to that temp gauge. I never had a boil-over or overheat issue TG.