Goodyear G70-15 Polyglas tire

This tire came with the 71 Monte I just got. The tire has never been used. I'd like to try to determine the date code but could not find anything searching google. Anyone here know how to decode the date?

00317.JPG

00411.JPG

00212.JPG

Did more searching and found this:

IMG.jpg

According to this article, my tire was made the 7th week of 1971 (February) in Toronto, ON. My 71 Monte was built Feb 24th in Oshawa, ON so I guess that confirms that it is the original spare tire for my car. I had some doubts since the tire is on a rim that has been used. The tire must have been moved to this rim at some point in its life.

Very cool! I still have one as my spare but it's got miles on it because I rotated all five back then.

Side note.... My spare is up-side down or white wall side down in the trunk. Makes me wonder what way is correct? I don't think mine will even fit the other way. Need to check my tire numbers and better see if it's got any air in it!

Bruce

The front of the rim is supposed to face down. It wont fit face up with the stock threaded rod. The prior owner put in a longer rod to put the rim in face up.

On my 72 I bought a TA Radial so all my tires match. I even have the trim ring and disc brake center on the spare face up. That big tire takes up a lot of room but it sure looks good at the car shows. All I need now is to get one more Monte Carlo Logo for the center of the cap.

So I took my spare out of the trunk to add air and get the serial number. B7NL LKDM My Monte was built in late April but I bought 4 tires from my friends 71 SS (Totaled in 1978) when he switched to radial tires in 1972 or 73, so it could be one of his.

Bruce spare tire pics

So I took my spare out of the trunk to add air and get the serial number. B7NL LKDM My Monte was built in late April but I bought 4 tires from my friends 71 SS (Totaled in 1978) when he switched to radial tires in 1972 or 73, so it could be one of his.

Bruce spare tire pics

Is that a G70 or a G78? Did your car come with G78 or G70 from the factory. It should say on the build sheet.

Good year G70x15 thin WSW.

Didn't the 78 series all have the "twin" tiny WSW? Not my favorite.

Bruce

Yes, the G78 Polyglass tire has 2 white stripes......

DSCF1200_zpsa35a23fc.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have three more of those, Murray? I would love to have a set but all I have is a spare with half-worn tread. frown

Even if I could put a set together, they would all be too old to be safe to cruise on. Wonder if any repops are available at a non-galactic price?