Quarter Glass Hardware removal ?

snomobeelr

your gonna need one of these tools, kinda a spanner wrench that fits in the two holes of a washer looking nut. this one is universal & fits many makes & models. Not sure where you can buy something like this, I borrowed this one from my local auto glass guys, helps to know the right guys.

IMG_20130518_010156_zpsd1fab6e0.jpg

IMG_20130518_010217_zps70354d15.jpg

IMG_20130518_010224_zps94936603.jpg

IMG_20130518_010247_zps39925ef2.jpg

My local glass shops did not have one of these tools so I made a tool for this job. I got some bolts that fit in the 2 holes of the nut. I found a nice solid piece of metal about 8 inches long I had laying around and drilled holes in it the right distance apart. I then fastened the bolts to that piece of metal and I had my tool. It did not look pretty but it worked. You can also buy the tool from various sources (Year One, etc)

To get the quarter glass molding and rubber weatherstrip off use a Plastic or Rubber Hammer and a paint stick. Just tap it Nice and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought but that tool looks very much like a disk brake caliper tool Ive seen in the past. Now that I think of it Im sure that a regular disc caliper tool would work on those washer nuts as well. You can get the tool from autozone as a loaner.

The needle nose didnt work for me either. I ended up getting the tool below.. The nubs for the holes could be a little longer but it worked... Thanks Carl for the info to get off the window chrome and rubber that worked great...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-81-GM-window-...mtr#ht_71wt_671