How many shims are too many?

Got everything on yesterday, and I have some serious camber. Nothing is on the suspension other than the body. Loosening up the upper a-arm bolts until the wheel was level (just using a small bubble-level), you can see how much space I have between the mounting shaft and the frame mounting points. This seems excessive to me.

2" drop springs, stock spindles, tall upper ball joint, stock-style a-arms. Don't think it makes a difference, but in case it does these aren't the wheels I'll be using - these are 16x8. I'm going to be using 18x8.

Thoughts?

image_zps47893bd5.jpg

image_zps58d77819.jpg

image_zps5c0b452a.jpg

I've seen worst! lol

You are ions ahead of yourself though. That will be one of the very last things you'll have to get done. Think about all the weight you will be adding to the front suspension. It will change a lot. And when you do have the alignment done, put on the tires and wheels you will be running. That can make a difference on it's own.

• 3 weeks later...

DJ, just got mine aligned last year and when I priced around, they all had the shims. I went with a guy here locally, believe it or not a GM dealership, that does a lot of older/muscle cars there. Paid like $60.00 which was a little cheaper than most.

Mike

nice setup you have there!>>>may i inquire as to what brand of a-arms you used

Thanks! I have BMR stuff all around. Great quality stuff at about half the price of Hotchkis. Clicky-click. 2" drop springs for front, 1" drop for rear, tall ball joints. Everything else is their standard A-body stuff. Here's an explanation why I went with tall ball joints when I was considering a tall spindle swap.

Originally Posted By: cudax
DJ, just got mine aligned last year and when I priced around, they all had the shims. I went with a guy here locally, believe it or not a GM dealership, that does a lot of older/muscle cars there. Paid like $60.00 which was a little cheaper than most.

Nice! I got some DSE shims from OPG and threw them in for now, just to get them in the ball park. Ended up with 3/8" worth of shims.