Frustrated - engine valve

NewTimer

Turning over the engine getting ready to adjust rocker arms and my father decides to come out and help (at the ending stages of all the work I have been doing) and he wants to adjust them. Turning the engine over I hear a ping from what I assume is a valve that was sticky. Go on to turn it over and don't hear the sound again. Frustrated at this point because my farther freaks out and claiming the only solution is to pull the motor apart again to check to see to see what he thinks is now a cracked piston. I have cast pistons and I just put the engine back in the car. mad Before I make time in my crazy schedule this week to take apart this engine (again) anyone have some insight?

Get the piston at its lowest point in the cylinder with both valves closed and put air in it. Use a regulator to put it in slow. You should be able to tell how much is blowing past if any

I really doubt that you could have cracked a piston turning it over by hand.

I would continue to adjust the valves and then run a compression test, a leak down would be better if you can.

What procedure are you using to adjust valves?

We did continue to adjust valves and turned it over a few times and never heard a sound again.

Procedure would be:

Set #1 cylinder to tdc, then turn over the engine until rocker arm comes back down on compression stroke.

Then lift push rod up and down while threading the nut and once we reach 0 lash. Then turn the nut a quarter of a turn(engine had oil). Then move on to the next cylinder which is 8

is a 1/4 turn what your lifter manufacturer suggests?

1/2 turn is normally the spec

I use...

#1 TDC compression stroke, adjust both vales

turn engine 90 degrees

adjust #8, both valves, turn engine another 90 degrees

and keep going in firing order

This really isn't my first time adjusting valves and when I first rebuilt the engine got a video and book by box wrench that walks you through the entire build. The only concern was weather or not it was likely I cracked the piston. BUT! Bore scope came in today and was able to inside #1 and #3 and both looked fine just had a little carbon on each one. Was going to look at all 8 but the batteries I had used died so will check the rest before or after work tomorrow.

I do appricate the advice on adjusting the valves though, will always come in handy on the next time I do it! Will update on the final findings tomorrow.