headliner, etc

wallaby

Ok, after 40+ years, my headliner is starting to let go from the cross bars and beginning to sag. My earmuff boards are shot and both the fabric on the front and that super Velcro on the back have let go....time for new sun visors too. I've done the whole interior including package tray, but now my ceiling is due.

The question is do I do it all myself? I've seen posts on this stuff, but it looks time consuming at least. How much does an interior shop charge for this kind of work? Should I source the parts first? insights?

Mark, having never done this before I was leery about attempting it, the local shops wanted over 450 to do it so I figured it was worth a try myself. I got great pointers from RichG here on the boards, (that link is in the interior archive) and over the coarse of 2 or 3 evenings I did it very successfully IMO. Stretching it a little more each day worked well for me, I was in no hurry. The binder clips that are at office supply stores were a key tool to have.

All this being said, my front windshield and rear glass were not in at the time, I would imagine it is more difficult with it in, but doable. I've read your posts on things you've done to your car, can't imagine you not being able to handle it

Ok. Now the stupid questions: Do I need to mess with glues/adhesives? I assume at least on the earmuff boards. Mine had glue failure early on, and driving with windows down flapped the fabric right off.

Anyone have source for those earmuff boards? Do I have to buy extra headliner fabric to get those done?

...and the sun visors?

I can tell you that my PUI earmuffs boards are peeling again, 3rd set! Needless to say I'm not happy, they have been replaced for free but it's alot of labor cause you have to remove everything in the back to get to them.

As far as the headliner goes, I got mine from Luttys, and it was great.

I used 3M spray adhesive on the edges, follow instructions on the can and you'll have no issues, the wind lace helps hold it along with the burrs in the metal strips along the roof

Most places sell the headliner/visor/ear muff boards as a kit