Looking for Driver Side Inner Fender

blueanalyst

Tread flew off my driver side front tire and did more damage than you can imagine - sure surprised me.  I'm taking the driver side fender off to straighten it out at the bottom where tire pieces bent it back under and knocked the SS 454 molding off as well as put two small dents in the top of the fender after it shattered the original fiberglass inner fender.  This is an original unrestored triple black 70 SS car so I want to keep it as original as I can taking it apart and putting it back together.  Not interested in buying those cheap plastic inner fenders from the parts catalog. Winter is here so I can take it apart but will have to wait for warmer Spring weather to paint before re-assembly.  Hoping to find an inner fender before then.

I installed my after market plastic inner fender wells over 12 years ago and have not had any issues with them at all.  They look as good today as the day I installed them.  No cracks or scratches or any other issues.  I am not sure if you can order any inner fender wells as an individual item nor would you want to because they won't match.  The problem with purchasing a used original is they will be very brittle after all these years.  You say you want to keep it original so the metal ones would not be an option.  For the most part I think the reproduction plastic ones are pretty decent.  

Others may chime in with the ones they have ordered and how much like original they look so keep posted.

rob

I understand why you would want an original inner fender replacement and I hope you can find one in good condition.  If you click on the PARTS menu option on this site (at the top of the FORUMS page) you can see a long alphabetical list of new and used parts suppliers.  I suggest you scroll down to Konik's Klassiks for the contact information for Leo Konik.  He is as likely as anyone to be able to help you, athough there may be other members who happen to have just what you are looking for.

If you can't come up with one, you might want to reconsider the new plastic replacements.  Like Rob, I replaced my cracked originals with a new plastic pair made specifically for first gen Montes from the Parts Place Inc five years ago.  They are sturdy but more flexible than the brittle originals so they are easier and more forgiving to install.  I like them far better than the steel Chevelle inner fenders on my '70 SS.  Good luck.

What part of Kansas are you in?

I looked at a 71 in an old, local salvage yard today. Couldn't open the hood, but I'm sure the owner would get it. Hinges are pretty bad. I could check it, and if it's good, might be able to meet you somewhere in Kansas with it. We'll be going to Larned, KS, by way of KC and I-70 around Christmas time.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Overdrive thank you very much for the reply.  I live in Bonner Springs, Kansas 66012, so you will literally pass right by me on your way to Larned on I-70 - that's quite a drive from Hannibal but I guess you already know that!  I'm trying to think of a way to save you a lot of work for nothing.  I've looked at 17 1st Gen Montes in salvage yards and I haven't found one in good condition yet.  As Rob Peters and McFan have both alluded to, finding one in decent condition is pretty tough.  46 years of exposure to the elements is pretty hard on fiberglass and they aren't being reproduced by anyone I've heard of yet.  So here's my proposal to you if you are up for it.  

Go to the salvage yard where the old Monte is and snap two or three pics of the underside and if you can get the hood open, the top side.  Where most of the inner fenders die is where they are mounted to the outer fender.  The old fiberglass breaks away from where its mounted to the outer fender so there's no place to re-mount it.  When that happens, they're toast.  The main reason mine are in such good condition and I haven't had to restore my car yet is because it sat in a classic car show room in Atlanta for 20 years before I found it.  So the exterior of my car hasn't seen any Midwestern winters yet because it is always garaged at my house.  If you can email the photos to jsdressler@gmail.com I can see if it's worth your trouble to have it removed from the donor car.

Mcfan also sent me a hot link to a parts section of this website that I'm going to explore also.  Thanks Mcfan for the tip.  I'd also like to thank Rob Peters for his suggestion which I did consider but as I said earlier, this is a numbers matching unrestored car with only 83,000 original miles on it so I'm trying to keep it looking as much like it did 46 years ago when it was born.  It attracts a lot of attention at the car shows because I'm usually the only SS Monte there.  It's going to be a good trick on my part when I repaint the outer fender to get it buffed down to where it has about the same finish as the rest of the car.

So let me know if you can help me overdrive and if you have a decent re-mountable inner fender we'll get together on a date, time and place to meet on your way to Larned and thanks again for helping out.

I checked the inner fender a couple weeks ago and it's broken in the usual places. I was hoping for the best.

I've never seen one that was made of fiberglass. They've all been black injection molded plastic.

Dan

• 1 month later...

I understand why you would want an original inner fender replacement and I hope you can find one in good condition.  If you click on the PARTS menu option on this site (at the top of the FORUMS page) you can see a long alphabetical list of new and used parts suppliers.  I suggest you scroll down to Konik's Klassiks for the contact information for Leo Konik.  He is as likely as anyone to be able to help you, athough there may be other members who happen to have just what you are looking for.

If you can't come up with one, you might want to reconsider the new plastic replacements.  Like Rob, I replaced my cracked originals with a new plastic pair made specifically for first gen Montes from the Parts Place Inc five years ago.  They are sturdy but more flexible than the brittle originals so they are easier and more forgiving to install.  I like them far better than the steel Chevelle inner fenders on my '70 SS.  Good luck.

Hi guys,  I am in need of a pass side inner fender as mine is split where the battery brace bolts to it in 2 places. I'm leery of plastic, but have not seen them in person. Obviously they must be well made or several of you would not be liking them. I'm understanding that the chevelle metal inners are different, correct? Should I replace a pair, vs just one? What about strength of the plastic piece supporting the weight of the battery, or load leveler?

Mike, I replaced the cracked original inner fenders on my 4-speed '70 six years ago when I had the car painted.  I bought the new pair of plastic inner fenders from The Parts Place Inc because they are specifically made for the Monte (not a Chevelle).  The front section is longer, the A-arm opening is smaller and the bolt holes actually line up.  I have a set of steel inner fenders (made for a Chevelle) on my '70 SS.  I have removed and reinstalled both the plastic and the steel fenders more that once during various projects and I can assure you that those are specific differences.

I doubt that any plastic fender is as "strong" as the steel inner fender but the new plastic ones are more than strong enough to hold the battery and the load level compressor (which weighs only a fraction of the battery weight, BTW).  In addition the new plastic fenders are made from a thermoplastic that is tough yet flexible (compared to steel and the original plastic fenders) so they are much easier to install and they will not crack like the originals.

I know there are other valid opinions and justifiable preferences than mine on this subject.  My opinion is based on my personal experience with both types in nearly identical applications and for my particular use.  If I ever have to replace the inner fenders on either of my '70s again, it will be with a new pair of Monte Carlo plastic fenders from the Parts Place.  BTW, I think they only sell them by the pair (part number BP1056M ) and I also think you would be better served to replace both of them so you have a matching set - the other original will likely crack over time, anyway.

I can't imagine that you would want to replace the cracked fender with another plastic original, but if you do, you'll probably have to find one from a salvage operation.  I happily remember the day I took a Sawzall and cut my original plastic fenders into pieces that would fit into my recycle bin ... 

I'd would have to agree with Dennis, I have done three different sets. The parts place is the way to go, I had purchased a plastic Chevelle set which I ripped right out of there and replaced with Monte specific ones, they go on much easier, they're better looking, a lot heftier than the stock ones. A win win if you ask me. Now I might also mention a battery support bracket is essential.

• Like 1

Awesome, thank you guys!

On a side note, I FINALLY got my title situation resolved. After 5 weeks (I used the time to fix the p/s leak, change the oil, fix a few small interior things), and a 5 hour wait at DMV I at least have a 30 day trip permit and can drive the car legally. There was a snafu with the VIN on my insurance card, so getting that resolved this week and plates next week. Took the car and drove it over the weekend and put 30 miles on it. Still have things to fix, but it was FUN to finally drive it.

Thx for all the advice and insight folks :)

M