The very first Monte Carlo SS454?

overdrive

Check out this photo of a pre-production Monte Carlo SS454 proposal that was displayed at the Chevrolet Warren Headquarters. It has the PA3 wheelcovers, Daytona Yellow paint (not well suited to the car), SS454 fender badges that look like Chevelle versions (the eventual production discreet SS454 tags looked way better), plus some weird striping that looks about as attractive on this car as a similar style did on the 1970 Charger.

Dan

post-339-0-07504700-1520819892_thumb.png

Very interesting ... I'm guessing the Monte Carlo design team wanted a performance version but was told not to compete with the Chevelle so they had to disguise their "muscle car" with a bunch of fru-fru to get it into the production plans.  Product line managers can be very jealous and protective of their turf.  I witnessed the same sort of games being played in IBM among competing product lines and system architectures over 30 years.

Fortunately, someone at Chevrolet came to their senses and brought out a version of the Monte Carlo that could at least be optioned to look and act like a performance model, albeit still somewhat understated in appearance.

I don't like it.  For some reason, to me it looks FAT.   I think that is just too much yellow.  I think it could have been used as a jersey barrier.

rob

Not a good looker for sure.  I do remember the very first 70 SS I saw had the fender skirts. It also had the 390 HP 454 that lasted about 6 weeks before GM dropped the HP.  It was on a dealer show room floor and was Red with a Black vinyl roof.  I recall the car was also to complete with the Pontiac  Grand Prix.  Later RJD