Recommend solution for small rust holes?

My son and I removed the rear bumper and discovered rust holes behind the bumper bracket

a>

And the trunk floor

a>

We need recommendation on what we should do as we don't want to replace the entire trunk floor for the small holes

if it was mine...for a temporary fix only! I would clean it up and just put some seam sealer over it to cover it up, them touch it up with paint

the correct way to do it would be to cut out the rust and make some patches and weld them in

it's not that bad yet, and that's why "I" would just do a temporary fix and enjoy the car shifter

What ever you decide on, start with sandblasting the affected areas and seal with an epoxy primer to stop/slow down the rot/rust. I agree with Sam, on the pinholes, blast the area, epoxy prime it, then use some thick bodied caulk/seam sealer and paint it. The spot near the bumper mount area looks easy enough to cut out a small section and weld in a patch or panel bond it in. Overall looks pretty minor.

Sam and Robert - appreciate your inputs but I am not sure which paint to use? POR-15 or rust paint?

Sam/Cory - is this the seam sealer you were talking about? http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-seam-sealer-cartridge.html

if so, is this same thing that could use to seal trunk panel plug (oval shaped)?

Rick

Rick I have used both the PRO-15 and the rust paint I posted. When I start the 72 Monte in April the frame work that is planned will be paint with the rust paint then a coat of paint on top of that. Here is what the rust paint looks like after sitting in the weather for a year frame002.jpg

Go to Lowes in the paint department. Ask for Jasco Prep and Primer.

You spray this rust killing chemical on the rusted areas, its also good for new metal. Let it set overnight and the rust will be converted into black and ashy look. You can then wash it down. And I like to use Rustoleum, its oil based, and good for rusty or thicker metal.

This will stop the rust until you can cut it out and make a patch, in some cases if its a small issue, once you've killed the rust, Rustoleumed it, using some type of seam sealer like said above or even fiberglass filler could be a permanent fix.

I just installed a 3 piece floor into a fellow's car, the trunk floor does not come with what you have pictured anyway. The braces looked rough under the floor, but after a treatment from a $7 bottle of Jasco, then washed it down, then painted it with Rustoleum, the problem is fixed forever, I done the same to his Gas Tank, which in a few more years would have been toast from the top.

Rick I have used both the PRO-15 and the rust paint I posted. When I start the 72 Monte in April the frame work that is planned will be paint with the rust paint then a coat of paint on top of that. Here is what the rust paint looks like after sitting in the weather for a year

Hey Rob, that frame has had the Jasco treatment and most has been painted with Rustoleumn already.

wear gloves when using por 15 it eventually comes off but nothing can take it off the solvent can clean up paint guns but when its dry its like a rock.