Valve cover question

7tonemonte

I have a set of These valve covers on my Monte, last oil change was an absolute nightmare due to the baffle inside the cover. It won't let you pour oil in it, there is no room at all for it to go other than down the outside of the cover and all over the place.

Am I able to just remove this baffle or will I have an issue with oil blowing up through the breather? Or should I remove the cover and drill a hole in it?

What's the best bet or does someone have a stock set I can put back on? lol

Moved the Monte sideways in the garage to start toying with it as it's supposed to pour rain all day tomorrow yay wash away the salt

is your oil fill cap a breather too?

I would leave the baffle on where the pcv is, and remove it at the oil fill

I'm with Sam.....Is there a knock-out for a fill cap? Are both covers the same?

I have the same problem with my Licensed valve covers and I tried switching them and both do the same thing. I just pour(my son in-law) pours the oil very slowly because he is a neat freak and why I have him change instead of your truly.

Both covers have a baffle, I pull the breather for oil fill.

At least I'm not the only one. I feel slightly better

I had an olds motor with no baffle and it always blew oil out of the breather that's why I was worried about removing it

I had those. Used to take me what seemed like an hour to add oil. I took a drill bit i think it was 3/8 and bored a hole thru the baffle. If you do that make sure you get all the metal out! I eventually ran out of patience and tossed them.

I have a set of Moroso custom v/c with breathers. They have baffles built in the tubes and it was kinda slow going when adding new oil. Now I just pull a the v/c off of the drivers side and pour away. V/C gaskets are reusable and have a metal shim so ya can't over tighten.

David

Here are my two cents,

I bought those same valve covers about 15 years ago. At the time they came unpainted and had no baffles at all. I installed a baffle grommet on the pcv side which I later improved upon. For the breather side I simply have the breather grommet i.e. no baffle at all. After thousands of miles I have never had an issue with oil coming out of the breather. This makes sense when you think about it as engine vacuum sucks air out of the engine crankcase from the pcv side, this results in air being pulled in the engine on the the breather side so there is a force counteracting any oil wanting to get out on that side, plus these valve covers are taller than stock so any oil would have to be splashing very high. I suppose other engine designs could kick up more oil but the SBC does not in my experience.

With no baffle in the way, oil replenishment is quick and easy, especially with a funnel.

Good luck with your decision.

That all makes sense except when you run under heavy load or full throttle.. you loose engine vacuum and pressures increase in the crankcase. That's when the breathers start acting in reverse and vapors are allowed to escape. ( I can smell the fumes after I've romped on it with my open element breathers)The trick is to let the breathers vent without passing fluid as well... that's the job of the baffles.

I used a baffled fill cap with integral PCV valve and it solved the problem: there is no need for the baffle inside the valve cover. I'd remove a portion of your existing baffle on the downhill side to let oil pour in, while retaining as much of the baffle as possible for good measure against oil being pulled or pushed back out.

The cap I used is something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-42845/overview/

Thanks for the help everyone, I just suffered through it once again!

I have a compound bottle,sort of like a picnic style ketchup bottle, poured oil out of the jug into there, then transferred it over. Slow going but didn't spill a drop.

I was kind of leaning towards the option of removing some of the baffle, but I'm not sure.

I think if I attach a tube to the ketchup bottle it may help, of I could use an iv bottle from a hospital like Terry suggested kicking