Regulator and alternator

tonym0828

Hey Guys I have to keep charging my battery on my 72. So I started checking the wiring and it has an alternator and I noticed that the original voltage regulator still bolted to the cowl in front of the A/C compressor, so I checked it and there is power to it. Never ran into this before can someone tell me if I can just unplug it or do I have to rewire something.

Thanks

Tony

I replaced my regulator a few years ago when it went, got it right at advanced auto they had it right in stock. I have since then also replaced the alt. also with a chrome one from summit. They are working great. Some have converted theres over to the internal regulator also I guess its not that bad a conversion.

I just added an alternator with an internal regulator and removed the voltage regulator. If I Remember correctly you have to splice the blue and brown wire together... I will have to double check though.

I believe this company has a great write up about this and many other charging system questions.

Bruce

MAD ELECTRIC

I changed mine to an internal regulator also Blue and brown wire are spliced together. The white is not used. The other wire (#2 or red) can be connected to the terminal block on the rad support by the battery or I ran that wire back to the red wire from the old regulator. That way the alt will better sense a voltage drop.

John S

I'm in that same group. Bought a one wire alternator at carlisle. 80 amp model. Definitely going to check that website out to figure out what i need to do to get it to work.

I do not have a terminal block near the battery. My positive cable runs down to the starter. so I am guessing that I would have to splice the red wire from the old regulator to the new alternator red wire. would this be correct.

Here are some pics showing my all stock 71 set up with the block on the inside of the right side of the rad support.

stock 71 voltage regulator and power point pics

My 70 has a fusible link from the pos battery cable going to a terminal block on the rad support that powers what some call the 4 splice, the alt, horn relay and voltage reg and fuse box. I connected the red wire from the flat 2 wire connecter on the alt to the red wire removed from the external voltage regulator

John S

Thank you for the pictures Bruce, My 72 does not have that junction block. One of the previous owners really hacked the wiring. Thanks to all of you I am getting there. I think I will add a junction and rewire according to the MAP #1 diagram. A little work but I think it will be a more efficient system than the external regulator.

Thank you Much

I can't say if the 72 had one or not. I did see a 70 ft clip on a 71 and boy did that guy mess things up! I'm sure someone will chime in.

Bruce