best desert cooling system

ClassicJJ

I'm out in AZ and I'm running an all stock 350 with HEI backed up by a 200 4r and soon to have 3:73 gears. I drive my monte daily but it seems to run in the 200 to 210 range when it comes to temperature and i want to cool it down alot! It has a new ac-delco water pump and someone had put a 3 cor radiator. I plan on upgrading the radiator but I was hoping someone on here who also lived in the desert could share a good experience they may of had with one. please give me all types of cooling input! thank you!

Highlight the entire link, because the brackets are making the forum think it's done with the address.

I think the easiest test would be to try and spin it while the car is off and if there is resistance (as it won't make a full revolution) that is a good sign it is good. Also after the car has been driven for a while (warmed up) and you shut it off the fan should maybe spin twice and stop...if it keeps free wheeling it probably is bad.

JJ, I flushed my system real well, I disconnected the bottom rad hose to make sure I got all the crap out due the car was sitting for many yrs. I also installed a 180 thermostat, my 350 runs fine in 100 degree temps.

There are several options for a fan clutch. The original unit is a heavy-duty thermal clutch. There is also a standard-duty thermal, and a severe-duty thermal. There is even a "non-thermal" clutch, but it senses engine speed instead of temperature and is used only for light duty applications.

The standard duty thermal is a simple budget-friendly unit that costs less, but allows some slippage...the engaged fan runs about 60% of shaft speed. (robs less HP from the engine, but pulls less air).

The heavy-duty thermal is more robust and allows less slippage; The engaged fan turns at about 80% of shaft speed. (requires more engine power to rotate, but pulls much more air). The heavy-duty is recommended for large displacement vehicles with AC.

Lastly is the severe-duty thermal which has the same operating specs as the heavy-duty, but is much larger and uses ball bearings instead of bushings internally. These are designed primarily for trucks.

Here is some further info:

Hayden clutch page

Severe is top-of-the-line. I just checked with Summit, and the severe is only $10 more then the heavy duty. Knowing that, I think I'd opt for the severe.