Instrument panel blinker lights

lopez70

I took off cluster in Oder to replace the clock then noticed some lights behind the Gage's were out. So I replaced them and all seem to be working not sure on temp, oil, gen lights but all others came on. The problem is when I turn the headlight switch on the left indicator lamp stays on. When signal lever is used the light blinks and when light switch is off the indicator light works it is only when headlight witch is on that the left indicator lamp stays on. Can anyone help?

Hey Leroy, Question for you.... when you pulled out the cluster did you unhook the battery so there was No power ? even with the ignition in the off position and key not in it there is still power going to the headlight switch and door pins and a lot of other places too. If it was still hooked up my guess is you inadvertantly shorted out the headlight switch and now need another one. The main power from the fuse block goes up to the headlight swiitch through the Red and Orange wires, and of course the orange wire supplies power to the clock and door pins and heater and so on.  The only other shortfall could be that the Black wire that you had to unscrew and remove from the bottom of the cluster under the gas gauge or tach area needs to be reattached to the same screw when put back in. I cant see a front or rear bulb being out or shorted if the problem was not there before you removed the cluster. 1 last last thing make sure all 194 bulb black plastic housings made the full twist when reinstalling them as sometimes when they are not fully twisted in they can incomplete the circut as well to the printed circut board...... Hope all that made sence ??

Ask Sam about those Darn Black ground wires....eh Sam.......

Darren... 

I also agree with the ground issues in the area you were working.  I have another idea too.  Has the instrument cluster circuit board been replaced.  If not, it is possible it has become brittle and may have been damaged in the process of working on the clock and lamps.

Rob

I just replaced my Circuit board in my 72 and now all the dash lights are working and I can actually see all of the numbers on the speedometer. Aldo put in LED's which also made it brighter and I am lovin it. Mine was very brittle and had delaminated in a couple of places.

So I'm still looking for a bad ground connection but in doing so I found that my right front bumper light was not connected. Got it connected and noticed that when key is off and light switch on Both signal indicators at dash stay on while both front bumper lights are off. Also when key is off and turn left signal lever, the left indicator light goes off and left bumper light goes on and stays on,same with right.

When key is on. Both Dash signal indicators stay on, turn left lever and indicator blinks along with bumper light. Same with right.

If I did do some damage to the light switch would all the other lights still be working? I have the entire dash off along with instrument panel and have only one ground wire connected to a ground screw at ribbon cable. Not sure if that matters.