gaskets for my basket case

mymontesa70

So my car sounds like a helicopter due to a header gasket leak. this is a frequent and not uncommon problem i know,especially with the SB. So this weekend im going to try the trick where you soak the gaskets in water, shake off the excess, put them on and start the car, heating up the gaskets and expanding them for a tight fit.  Im doing this to the headers, collectors and cut out flanges. 

question is : Has anyone tried this method before? Is there a gasket in particular that has a high success rate?

thanks in advance

Personal I would order some copper gaskets for the header to head and then either copper or alum collector gasket. On my big block I have the paper Headman header gasket and the collector is a ball and socket design. I used to run the alum collector gasket with a set of Mr. Gasket head to header black gasket with no issue.

• 1 month later...

hate to bring up an old thread. I went to pull the trigger on ordering my remflex gaskets this morning, and just by chance thought id read a couple reviews. Turns out alot of people are unhappy, even when following install instructions to a T they say they're blowing apart after 2 months. 

Somebody give me some good news, anybody here have remflex gaskets installed for more than 6 months with good results? Gprimm i see youve had good results so im starting to feel a little better. right now it seems like alot of coin to drop on something that might need changing again next summer. 

thanks as always

• 4 weeks later...

So i finally got around to installing those remflex gaskets this weekend. They seem to be worth the buck, sure as heck stopped my leak plus leaks i didn't know i had! (collector) Its a little strange they say no need to re tighten after a heat cycle. Its really hard to resist the urge to check them. Also 20ft lbs was the recommended torque which also seemed on the light. i guess only time will tell. All in all it sure is nice to hear my car sounding nice again, i almost forgot how much i love my exhaust.