What's is this small radiator for?

jayzi

Hi guys. I removed the radiator for the AC today (AC delete...) and behind it I found a small radiator which seems to be an extension of the big radiator. Is there a specific reason for this one (e.g. necessary for hot climate counties etc.) and is it safe to remove it?

Regards

Joerg

post-1140-0-92601600-1432407759_thumb.jpg

My first thought was a trans fluid cooler. The rad may not be equipped with a cooler if it was made for a manual trans car, or perhaps it started leaking and this was a fix.

Bruce

It's directly attached to the main cooler on the passenger side. There's a steel tube coming from the engine bay up to beside the battery. This steel tube has a nut which may be used to bolt it directly to the main radiator. Instead a rubber hose leading to the small cooler is mounted to the nut. The other rubber hose coming back from the cooler is connected to the upper hole on the main radiator. So this small cooler is pretty much 'only' an extension and I don't know why it is necessary. Instead I could attached the steel hose nut directly to the main radiator and get rid of this small cooler.

However is that small thing a usual component? I couldn't find any photos of Monte Carlos where this was installed.

Thanks a million, Sam. That's a good read. So from what I understand is that my little cooler is not an OEM installation but aftermarket (probably for towing)? And that there must be a transmission fluid cooler installed in the main rad because one won't mix water and oil, right? :) Okay, again learned a lot. However I don't tow, I'm not using the Monte to transport gold bars and it's not getting very hot in Germany so there's a good chance that my car won't stop working if I remove it. Am I right or am I wrong?