Vinyl top treatments???

Hi All,

What is the best vinyl top treatment?

My top is new.

I heard that Armor-All dries the vinyl out. It was suggested that I try Skin So Soft (SSS), and I did try it, but the top looks the same as before I used the SSS. At least no mosquitos will bother me at the shows with the SSS on there!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thank You,

Ben

------------------

Best Regards,

Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/

I had a friend that had his motorcycle seat recovered, and they told him it was waranteed for life, as long as he didn't use armorall on it.

But darn it, I can't remember what they said was good to use.

I have read that baby oil is good. I had some to use on my dash pad, but can't find it. I just wrote it on my shopping list and will try this out.

------------------

George Lines

Usually people who say bad stuff about Armor-all are trying to sell you something else. I use both Armor-all and Meguires 40 for vinyl & rubber, I believe it is. Meguires is a good product that has a complete line of polishes. If you are into trying something new you could always try Malibu Magic from http://www.hollywoods1.com I am going to try this when I run out of my Armor-all and Meguiare’s.

------------------

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@firstgenmc.com logo_org_pub.gifgraphic_pub.jpg

http://home.attbi.com/~adgtrunklid

[This message has been edited by ADGTRUNKLID (edited 06-23-2002).]

Armor All sucks for that purpose. I use Meguiars Rubber and Vinyl treatment, great stuff!

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.gif

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

I have seen people use Pledge Wipes for this purpose. I use pledge wipes in my engine compartment and they do a real nice job on the plastic without harming it and you get that nice lemon fresh smell. If you are going to try them I would suggest you just try a small area first to see what it looks like.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

anything with an oil(petroleum)base, will make things look good for a while but eventually cause vinyl and plastics to dry rot and crack....ESPECIALLY if not applied on a constant basis. Armor All, and most other products along the same line(baby oil too) fall into this category. It will look good for a few years, but will eventually cause dry rotting due to the magnified intensity of the sun's UV rays when they go thru to the top(basically just speeding up the aging process) Armor all voids a lot of warranty's, so you may want to check with whoever you got the top from(installed?) and see what the warranty recomends...

------------------

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather did......not screamin' and yellin' like the other people in his car.... Konrad

Malco - a great cleaner of vinyl and plastic - recommended by the shop that did my vinyl top. Works great on any vinyl andplastic interior stuff too. Not sure how great it is on protecting against the UV's. The body shop that did my rear window also use Malco.

Thanks Everyone. I'm going to check out a local parts house this evening, to see what they've got.

Ben

------------------

Best Regards,

Ben

Ben, I use Mequiars vinyl/rubber dressing on my tops. 3 years and they look like new! The guy at the upholstery shop said "don't use

Armor All!" Mequiars makes some great tire dressing too.

Lon

------------------

lonsig.jpg

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bucs01:
Ben, I use Mequiars vinyl/rubber dressing on my tops. 3 years and they look like new! The guy at the upholstery shop said "don't use
Armor All!" Mequiars makes some great tire dressing too.

Lon
</font>

Thanks Lon.
I guess that's the same stuff that Andreas uses. I went to look for it last night, and no one around here carries it. I picked up some Turtle wax Formula 2001, to try, but I will still try & find the Meguiars that you guys use.
I'll look in another parts house or two this afternoon.
Thank You,
Ben

------------------
Best Regards,
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben N (edited 06-25-2002).]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ADGTRUNKLID:
Guess what they have a web sight http://www.meguiars.com/ maybe you can find a dealer that way.</font>

Thanks Lloyd!
I'm glad I thought of it! J/K biggrin.gif
Amazing things, these places in space, called websites... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Sincerely,
"Al Gore"
HE HE HE HE LOL...

------------------
Best Regards,
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben N (edited 06-25-2002).]

Try O'reilly's for Meguires #40 products. They carry

the whole line of Meguires stuff here. The good thing about # 40 is after a while it evaporates and doesnt leave a greasy feeling or turn milky. And it actually cleans, not just covers and makes things shiny. I put it on with a sponge and leave it set for a few minutes, then buff it off with a cloth diaper. Also ,, that formula 2001 stuff has teflon in it,,basicly the same as

Armour All.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I was just about to use baby oil on mine, but not now. I will check out other options. POR-15 has some awsome products, so I will read up un this.

------------------

George Lines

we use Meguiars vinyl protectant on our Monte's. I have used the tire gel also. That stuff is awesome, been on my monte since right before the meet in GA and the tires still look good! (and its my daily driver)

Patti

George, I just applied POR-15's product to my top. If you use their product, make sure you do it in a place where there is no wind or flying dust until it dries. I did mind on a windy day so I spent some time picking out stuff that landed on it befor it dried. It is suppose to dry in about 15 minutes. I applied a heavy coat and it took about an hour to completely dry. The end result however was great.

------------------

JIM70

We tried Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Aids Store, OOPS, I mean Aid Stores biggrin.gif. No Meguire's #40 products. They carry all of the common crap though. They must have a deal with the vinyl top companies. biggrin.gif

I'll have to try Goodfellow Auto Body Supply Shop tomorrow.

Ben

------------------

Best Regards,

Ben

The woman who put our top on said that in terms of not building up like a lot of store-bought shine treatments, baby oil, or even better, fragrance-free mineral oil is the best. A lot of places swear by their own products, but I guess I tend to trust the folks that see more vinyl tops per day than any of us do.

Our top has been on for about 3 years, and was out in the elements for most of that time, but still looks brand-new. (It did have a cloth cover on it, but still...)

------------------

Charles and Celeste (but usually Celeste)

oh...and Monte the 1971 Monte Carlo 350