Fuel Question

Droff

My Monte has been sitting for close to a year with untreated gas in the tank/fuel system. Before I try to get it going I plan to pull off the carb to get it rebuilt and drop the tank to get it cleaned.

My question is how would I get the remaining fuel out of the existing fuel lines before I put it all back together and get it running, or is that a concern?

Thanks.

Hey Drew,

You can disconnect the feed line to the fuel pump and the outlet line from the tank and blow air to clear the line of residual fuel. Shoot some brake clean down the hard line and blow it out with air clearing out any remaining residue. It  would also be a good time to replace any rubber lines in the fuel system if needed.

Not sure how much fuel is in the tank but you can get a hand pump and run the hose down the filler neck and pump the old fuel out. It should get most of it out. If it is non ethanol and isn't to bad run it in the  lawnmower. 

Add  some fresh fuel to the tank and some lucas fuel or sea foam cleaner additive hook up the lines add a new fuel filter at the carb and fire her up. After running for a bit check the filter and if it looks clean you should be good to go.

If ya really feel energetic you can always drop the tank after you drain it and take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out, but I think you will be fine.

David

How much fuel in the tank? How does it smell?

I have never been in that situation but I would just start it up and run it.

Pour a little fresh gasoline down the carb first, since it all has evaporated.

My brother in law has vehicles he rarely drives for many many months and he never does anything (prior to or after) but get in and drive.

Bruce

Thanks for the info David.

How much fuel in the tank? How does it smell?

I don't know for sure how much is in the tank, the gauge isn't working correctly. The last time I put gas in it was about 2 years ago and that was on the ride home after I bought it. It ran a bit rough regardless so I was thinking some carb work just to make sure I don't have an issue with that as I don't have much of a reference point to work from.

Smell? I haven't checked that. I can try to fire it up and see how it runs, that won't be a problem, but it may be several days. Working another issue right now.

Fuel gauge issues appear to cause lot's of problems. Replacement (aftermarket junk) sending units are not the correct configuration in some cases so be cautious and ask for recommended sending units to purchase, if that is what you need in the future.

Good luck!

Bruce

.... ask for recommended sending units to purchase, if that is what you need in the future.

Good luck!

Bruce

Right now it's an uneducated guess that I need one but, I would officially like to ask...Would you have a recommendation?

Thanks.

Drew,

No I do not, Mine is, luckily, still all OEM,  but the discussion (different ones all the time) pops up after someone purchases a sending unit and the gauge still does NOT function properly.

I just read about one this past week here on the boards. You can search for it or if I find it I will post.

Others in the club will chime in about this.

Bruce

A year ago I had fuel sender issues. Finally found a NOS one at the parts place, $229.00 but well worth it. The parts place told me I got their last one. Good luck, not all aftermarket ones are bad but to tell the difference is difficult.

John S

if you are going to drop the tank why not get a new one..and a new sending unit...all will be fresh and a big piece of mind knowing that your 40+ year old tank won't be a problem with rust and gunk and gremlins

if you are going to drop the tank why not get a new one..and a new sending unit...all will be fresh and a big piece of mind knowing that your 40+ year old tank won't be a problem with rust and gunk and gremlins

That might be the better alternative and has been under consideration. I need to look around for new tank prices.

Thats what I was thinking.

Sounds great but do the proper research on the proper tank and sending unit and verify it works prior to filling it was gasoline. I read all the time about wrong or poor parts. Aftermarket sucks IMO!