400 Big Block?

ejw71

Many are aware that some 396s were actually a 402ci. And that the small bock grew to 400ci in 1970. My question is: People sometimees refer to a Chev BB as a 400. Do they mean the 402 or the SB 400? Or was there a BB that displacemed 400 cubic inches? Thanks, Ed

i think they are referring to a 396 bored .10 over that is about as close as it will come to a 400. even then its only a 397 according to desktop dyno

in 1970, the "400 Turbo-Jet V8" option in a Monte is actually a 402 big block. The same engine was used in a Chevelle and Impala but those models referred to the engine as a 396. See my 1970 engine info Here smile

Canuck, Now I finally understand. And it was that simple. Your 1970 Monte info page is great. Can you be talked into adding '71-'72s?. Only 175 with Cruise-Control. May have been first year for Chevy, not GM, with cruise. Were the 1970 4-way power bucket seats available as a passenger seat? Thanks, Ed

It's funny that they didn't change the underhood decals for the 402(aka 400BB).Very nice website Canuck.I knew about the change in the halo top but didn't realize the headlight trim didn't go the full '70 production.My SS was definitly an early production model like your '70(it was built at Baltimore,I wonder if that made a difference for parts supply).Ejw the pwr bucket was only on driver side.

i posted this once but couldn't find it in the search function

Turbo-Fire vs. Turbo-Jet

Here is some more info on the engine options (not sure about it's accuracy tho)

Production Numbers

I have had issues with my '72 402 BB. Like the time i went to the GM DEALERSHIP and had the guy at the counter, "who has been working here for years" who swore up and down that the 402 in my car wasn't original b/c "Chevy never put a 402 in the Monte Carlo's"

I believe you find that a 402 is actually a 396 that is 0.030 overbore. The 402 is generally expected in a Chevelle after January 1 1970. Most 70 Chevelles in the fall of 1969 did have actual 396 engines. Note that the 396/375 engine option was cancelled in December 1969.

How does this affect Monte's? Not really sure. I have never specifically heard if the 402 was used in the Monte from the get go in September 1969 or were actual 402 engine Monte's produced like Chevelles, after January 1970 since they were made in the same assembly facility?

Who has a "real" 1970 402 car made in September-November 1969 that still has the original engine? Did they make 402 cars in the fall of 1969? Original pistons will tell the tale as 402's have bigger pistons than a 396 as stated above. We certainly know for a fact that SS 454 cars were made very early in 1970 production such as late August and early September 1969.

Notice in 1971 that ALL reference to the 396 is dropped. All Chevelles equipped with the 402 make no reference to "396" as there are NO emblems on the car as there was on the 1970 model.

Have a great day!

I know that in '70 the 396s actually became 402s, but that they continued to be called 396s when used in Chevelles, Camaros and Novas because the "SS396" designation had been around since '65, and it was well established. '69 was the last year for an SS Impala, so without the "SS" emblems available on '70 Impalas, did they still actually call the the 402 Big Block a "396" when installed in the '70 Impalas? If so, that would mean that you could get either a "396" Big Block Turbo-Jet, or a 400 Small Block Turbo-Fire. Hmmmmmmm, that seems kind of weird, doesn't it! wink LOL

The first car that I owned (1982-85) was a 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme, and it had the driver's 4-way power bucket seat. The passenger bucket was adjusted manually, however.

Dave

Click on MarchiefB's Turbo-Fire vs. Turbo-Jet (above post), his info clears it up. Dan and Nan you guys going to the 2004 FGMCC's Woodward Dream Cruise meet? Ed