Trailing arm bushings

This is kind of embarrassing to ask...when changing out the bushings in the trailing arms, do you have to take the cross tube out, or can you just change out the bushing itself?  i have tried everything but the kitchen sink to get that sucker out.  The loaner tool at the parts house.  Sticking a socket to keep from bending the arm in, nothing!  If you have to take the tube out, any tips on getting that rascal out?

I use to take a dry wall cutting drill bit(a drill bit with a hundred or so teeth all over the entire shaft of the bit) and destroy all the rubber in between the outer shell and the inner steel sleeve.  It would take about 5 minutes per bushing.  Once the rubber is out, and yes the inner sleeve will be easier to remove when the rubber is destroyed.  Just pound the outer sleeve from all angles until it crumples and comes out.  There is no easy way to remove OLD bushings.  It is, however, very easy to install new ones(helps to have a press).  Good Luck. - Dave

I didn't drill or split them. Just use a big hammer and a big chisel to make a couple deep marks on the small side of outer steel. This will collapse the steel and reduce the diameter enough that they'll drive out. Pretty easy.

Dan

When you reinstall them, you can throw the bushings in the freezer for a couple hours prior and they will go in much easier.

Get out!  haha  Good tip man thank you!