Shifter pieces

ChrisM

Hey everyone. I know this has probably been posted but I went through over 10 pages and didn't see anything or missed it.

My question is, I have a few floor shifters, a th350 trans, and I need to make those two work together. What is involved? Which cable, brackets etc.

I only have a manual console not the auto but I'll worry about that after!

Any help would be great!

Thanks Chris.

I only have these two pictures I copied off the internet, no other information, sorry:

Some day I thought I would convert my column shift to a floor shift with buckets. I did get the buckets 24 years ago but nothing else.

Bruce

post-76-0-96417000-1463348197_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-53602100-1463348210_thumb.jpg

I have this in WORD format I found on the internet:

How to Install Buckets and Console by George Nenadovich

Hey, Chris,

I can't answer all of your questions but the following link might give you some of the information you are seeking:

Installing a detent shifter plate

There are numerous photos of the "horseshoe style shifter" that came stock on our first gen Montes for both the TH350 and the TH400.  If you have one that looks like that, you are in business for sure.  You should be able to order a stock TH350 replacement cable and also the top plate and indicator insert for the auto shifter for your console.  While the manual and auto consoles are identical except for the top plate, you must also have the correct insert for your auto shifter.  

I always check the Parts Place, Inc for such parts and they have them:  Part number for the auto top plate assembly is CP1356M for $99 and the part number for the shift indicator lens is CP12733M for $6.

My suggestion is that you consider modifying your stock horseshoe shifter with a detent plate from Thomson Performance before you even install it (see above link to photo journal of this project).  They are available new from ShiftWorks or you might want to contact another Canadian member pocobill7T1 as he recently advertised that he had several used detent plates for sale.  You will probably enjoy shifting your TH350 more with a detent plate than with the stock unit and it will be super easy to install with the shifter already out of the console.

Good luck with your project!

post-567-0-30824200-1463350615_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-82296700-1463350652_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-75364800-1463350770_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-48559900-1463350852_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-15338000-1463350891_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-77042200-1463350944_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another quick question about the shifter, can I remove the neutral safety switch off the column and use it on the floor shifter? Or is it a different switch I'd have to get?

Thank you

Different style. I just broke my floor neutral safety switch and bought another that was column mount and it would not work. S9229 is the Pep Boys part number $19.95 free shipping when picking up at store. I ordered it online and had it the next day with pick up at a local store. EL2306Z  $29.00 plus shipping is the part number for https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/. OPGI also has them.

Hey guys, so i have done most of my wiring, waiting on my engine from the machine shop.

I decided to grab the two shifters I have, to go over the reverse/neutral saftey switch for wiring, when I realized the two shifters I have are two different designs.

To boot neither of them match the shifter in this post.

Here are the pictures

Am I missing something or are these the wrong shifters

post-606-0-67460800-1466555554_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-21362700-1466555600_thumb.jpg

They both have nss/Rev (picture)

What do you mean by the front plug for back up lights? In THE picture, is that switch not also for the back up lights?

post-606-0-87874700-1466556903_thumb.jpg

Those are the right shifters Chris. The picture Dennis post is a aftermarket dent plate on his shifter. The two plug one under the other is the backup lights and the terminals side by side is the NSS part of the switch.

Ok cool.

My next issue, when I got this car, the transmission tunnel was cut out(picture)

I am not sure why, I have these two tunnel peices, the one to cover the hole is not right but I can fix that, the other has the rectangle hole in it. Is the rectangle hole floor peice for a 4spd Manual?

post-606-0-02752700-1466558265_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-72803700-1466558325_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-84382700-1466558372_thumb.jpg

It looks like someone was planing a manual trans swap that why you have the rectangle hole floor piece. Looking at your brake pedal the car was originally an auto as a manual pedal would be a smaller. You will need to weld the first place as the floor shifter sits on it.

Hey guys, so i have done most of my wiring, waiting on my engine from the machine shop.

I decided to grab the two shifters I have, to go over the reverse/neutral saftey switch for wiring, when I realized the two shifters I have are two different designs.

To boot neither of them match the shifter in this post.

Here are the pictures

Am I missing something or are these the wrong shifters

Chris, I may be missing something, but the two shifters shown in the thumbnail photos in your post are different from each other and neither has a base that looks correct for a first gen Monte.  They may be functionally equivalent and you might be able to make them work, but I'm pretty sure neither are stock first gen Monte shifters.  

Before I rebuilt and modified the shifter in my '70 SS, I scoured swap meets for vintage "staple" or "horseshoe" shifters and found quite a variety but none that looked just like the one in my Monte.  From photos online, it appears the '68-'72 Chevelle shifter may be the same, but I don't know that for sure.

As Robert pointed out, the earlier photo of my shifter shows the replacement detent plate but that won't matter if you can't bolt the shifter assembly to the transmission tunnel correctly.

Yea I noticed that also Dennis. I don't know of any swap meets or anything like that close to me. I'd have to do some research on that, would anyone have a spare by any chance?

I was going to just try and make it work, I am a licensed tech an fabricator, so I know I can put something together.

But thinking about more of the easier way, would be to have the correct shifter.

The shifters in your pictures are not Monte Carlo shifters. The first one is from a 68-70 Impala. The second one is from a 68-69 Camaro. Monte Carlo's and Chevelles used the same shifters from 68-72. I know that there were no 68/69 Monte Carlo's. What year is your Monte Carlo?

It's a 70.

But I have talked with antique chev and I have ordered the proper shifter as assembly for the car. Now it's just a waiting game.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice! Much appreciated