Help head hits headliner and knees hit dash.

MC1970U

After finally getting the interior restoration complete I have a problem and looking for some solutions.

It looks great but the new foam, spring repair and seat cover on the power bench has shoved me up and forward so much so that it has become uncomfortable for me to drive. While this is my wife's car I love driving it and would like to make it a bit more 6'2" friendly. I was wondering if any one has had any experience with track extenders? I was also wondering how hard it would be to flip sides on the tracks so the up/down can be at the front as apposed to the stock rear location?

Feel like a Big Daddy Roth trading card especially when in low,

spoony

Hey Spoony, been there. I re-built a benchseat with new foam and covers and suddenly I'm disappointed! The seat looks great, just no fun to drive. I'm over 6'2" myself and here's what I had to do. As you can see in the photos, I cut off the rear foot, shortened it and welded it on in a new position. Then I extended the front foot by adding metal strap. But before you breakout the Saws-all, set the benchseat on a piece of cardboard and mark the locations of the feet. Once you've rewelded the rear feet inplace and straight, you can modify the fronts...........Good Luck!

post-732-0-49652700-1467076619_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-29509900-1467076647_thumb.jpg

When my bucket seats were recovered with new foam and padding I had the same problem, I am 6'1". I plan on doing the same thing Murphy did, I just have not got around to it yet. I think with the track extenders you may have to cut carpet and if the carpet is new that might not be the best option, at least for me it's not.

John S

I had a legendary interior installed on my 72 last year. On the bucket seats i used the covers and new foam with the bolsters in them. I have the seat all the ways back and it works for me. I am just under 6" tall and I do sit quite a bit higher than with the old PUI interior. I like sitting up a little bit higher but have to remove my hat when getting onto the car or it gets knocked off.

"I re-built a benchseat with new foam and covers and suddenly I'm disappointed!" To tell you the truth my gut sank. I couldn't believe how much it changed things.

First thing that came to my mind was how my sons first car, a 68 Chevelle, turned out just like this after we redid his interior and he is 6'4". He sold the car shortly after and bought a Nissan 240SX that he actually fit into much better. The fast and furious movie had come out and he got all excited about it. Helped put a Skyline engine in it and he proceeded to scare the you know what out of me. But he wish's he had that 68 today.

My wife reminded me that my 72 Camaro was like that as well. I was a young man and I just remember loving that car. I had forgotten about this issue with the 70s. It's hard to believe they were building so many cars that were uncomfortable to drive for a big, pun intended, segment of society?

Murphy, how much did that add and was it enough to get you what you needed? It looks like 2 inch's! Thanks for going through the trouble to post pictures me with the cardboard tip. I will give that a try

By the way the foam I used was from American Cushion Industries which I was very happy with. Perfect fit, attention to details, awesome comfort and made in the USA ! The dimensions on the bum cushion were thicker but I really don't know what the original was like when it was new. 

Thanks everyone!  

I used the same foam and PUI covers, the seat was better than new. I talked with several upholstery shops and they told me the foam would gradually relax.... I added 1.5" inches to the front foot. We modified the rear feet first, to lower and move the seat further back, then we modified the front feet. It helped considerably in getting me back in the cabin. I've been told to slice off an inch of the foam of the seat bottoms but I didn't want to take the seat apart. Most upholstery shops have a foam saw that they could easily trim down the foam then reinstall the cover. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,

So I was wondering? When someone was in the market for a new car in 1970 and they went to their local Chevy dealership would they experience this same seating situation when they took a car for a test drive?

spoony

Thanks everyone,

So I was wondering? When someone was in the market for a new car in 1970 and they went to their local Chevy dealership would they experience this same seating situation when they took a car for a test drive?

spoony

My experience was that I was so enamored with what I was sitting in, nothing else really mattered and went unnoticed by me anyways.  I was 45 years  younger also

and am positive comfort wasn't my main concern during that era.    :cool:

Doug

Had my interior redone about a year ago and experienced similar issues as you taller folks, I'm only 5'8. I corrected the issue by having the shop shave off some foam from the bench seat and added track extensions, about 1.5 - 2 inches. At first it was still a bit tighter than I would have liked it, but now with some ware the seat has soften up to more comfortable position.

I like Murphy's idea for the seat extension.

Yes I will be doing something to extend the tracks next time I have the seat out.

I am still surprised that these cars once were set up like this. It seems a large segment of society would be excluded from buying?  

spoony