Converted to Bucket seats

Murphy

Here's a few pics of my bench to bucket conversion, I've seen several conversations about switching to buckets, so here's my penny's worth. The car was originally a cloth bench, the covers were in good shape but the springs were shot. I then converted to a bench from a 72 Cutlass S as I wanted the center arm rest. After much expense & sweat, I had the bench I thought I wanted? But with new foam and I'm over 6'2", my head was brushing the headliner and I would slide around even strapped in. I was at a car show several months ago and a guy wanted to know everything about that seat as he was rebuilding a 72 Monte back to original from being a strip car. Even tho the seat is not original to the Monte Carlo, he wanted it bad! So I sold it and made a tiny profit. About a week later I found a set of buckets from a 78 Z28 that a guy had pulled out as he was building a strip car. Ironically, the 78 & 79 Camaro had what were called zipper-backs. GM did away with the hard plastic back shell and the seat cover has a zipper that runs up the back. Also the pleats in the seat are only a 1/4" smaller than the Monte's pattern. I was sold, especially since I got the buckets w/tracks for $50.

I then decided I need some type of console with cupholders and found the site called cupholdersplus.com , they make consoles for a wide range of vehicles. I purchased the unit called the 'humphugger' which is made to fit perfectly over the tunnel area. It attaches with velco and is covered with the madrid vinyl material so its a perfect match for my 71! 

post-732-0-61122000-1467648769_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-69447000-1467648931_thumb.jpg

post-732-0-55573500-1467680075_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did not, I had to drill 3 new holes per seat and I went thru the floor brace for strength. I also needed to add a 2" spacer to each of the front bracket feet. It was pretty straight forward. Pulled back the front carpeting to insure fitment. Buckets are certainly the way to go...........

So pretty much fabricate to fit as far as installing buckets? I have a bench seat car but want to go with buckets, still thinking on whether to buy the bracket and weld it in or modify without the bracket. Other than a set of A-body buckets, I'm just not sure what would be best to try and get into the car.

A body buckets would be the best route to go. If you go that route be sure to get the 4 piece floor mounting bracket kit. That way they will mount as they were from GM. The two bracket sets work, but are not correct. Your lower plastic seat panels will rub the seatbelt retractors with the 2 piece kits.

I have been looking for a center console that is not a factory type but will accept a horseshoe shifter. Anyone know of something like that? I have a lot of parts I am hoarding with the dream one day of actually installing some. Bucket seats, floor shift, 12 bolt rear, 454, steering box from a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee among a bunch of stuff yet to buy.