Need some help from knowledgeable folks

Has anyone ever bought a car from a Barrett-Jackson auction?

I found a car I really like that will be auctioned at the Scottsdale AZ Barrett-Jackson auction in January.  Problem is I have never bought a car this way.  The description given in the auction listing is very brief and there aren't many pictures.  Does anyone know if there is someway to get more details about the car?  Can you hire a proxy to inspect the car, report back and bid if necessary? 

I just don't see anyway I could put together a trip to AZ on such short notice.

You could check with these people... I found them on line but don't know anything about them.  Not sure what they charge or how reputablethey may be.

http://www.auto-detectives.com/MarkBio.html

rob 

Has anyone ever bought a car from a Barrett-Jackson auction?

I found a car I really like that will be auctioned at the Scottsdale AZ Barrett-Jackson auction in January.  Problem is I have never bought a car this way.  The description given in the auction listing is very brief and there aren't many pictures.  Does anyone know if there is someway to get more details about the car?  Can you hire a proxy to inspect the car, report back and bid if necessary? 

I just don't see anyway I could put together a trip to AZ on such short notice.

Is this the one you are talking about.... I agree regarding the limited information.  Personally I liked the other one you had appraised better.  This one does say it is undocumented:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-CHEVROLET-MONTE-CARLO-SS--200628  

Now, Talk about UGLY....... At the same auction this 71 Torino Custom Display Car:  https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-TORINO-CUSTOM-DISPLAY-CAR-200631   

rob

Yep that is the one.  What do you think of the statement "undocumented"?  I just figured that meant there was no build sheet so no paperwork to prove it is a SS454.  It is a Flint manufactured car though so not having a build sheet would be expected. 

Holy crap that other thing sure is ugly.  I wonder what the concept was?  I can't imagine that anybody actually would think that thing is something they would want in their garage.

Exactly!! Undocumented could mean "clone".... in other words, someone slapped badging on it and is calling it a SS. By having thai "undocumented" clearly stated would mean when the buyer finds out it isn't really aa true SS the buyer doesnt have a leg to stand on

rob

Exactly!! Undocumented could mean "clone".... in other words, someone slapped badging on it and is calling it a SS. By having thai "undocumented" clearly stated would mean when the buyer finds out it isn't really aa true SS the buyer doesnt have a leg to stand on

rob

So how can one tell if a Flint car is a real SS or not?  Since they did not come with build sheets, what other way is there to tell?  

I know there is badging specific to the SS but as you mentioned that could relatively easily be done to a non SS car.  There are also a few parts on the SS not found on other versions but I suspect if one was so inclined they could find those parts and put them on.  Now for all intents and purposes they have an SS but was not born an SS.  How can one figure that situation out?

BTW, I called the guy in AZ and he said he done many inspections on cars at Barrett-Jackson but had never done a proxy bid for anyone.  He said he is very familiar with the management there and would look into whether or not it is something he could do.

Steve  

Without a build sheet the best way will be matching serial numbers on the block with the VIN.  The thing most people will not do is the air ride system.  Running all of the lines and finding all of the parts isn't impossible but most won't go through all of that.  There are many real SS's out there without the air pump but they are still SS's.  If you have not already studied the area here on the site on how to identify a true SS I would suggest you start there.

rob

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally found THE car and bought it. :yay: :2beers:   :party: 

I bought this one.  It is a triple black, documented, numbers matching ’70 SS454. 

It is not perfect (has some small rust issues) but the price was right and it will be a fun car to work on, own and drive.

Thanks to all here for the help coaching and support as I searched for my car.  Now I will transition to asking more "how to" questions. 

Very nice. My only advice is to drive it as much as you can before you start any projects that would down it for awhile. It is very easy to forget that these are really cars and not garage/yard art. Mission creep is an insidious enemy. LOL. David

Well, I finally found THE car and bought it. :yay: :2beers:   :party: 

I bought this one.  It is a triple black, documented, numbers matching ’70 SS454. 

It is not perfect (has some small rust issues) but the price was right and it will be a fun car to work on, own and drive.

Thanks to all here for the help coaching and support as I searched for my car.  Now I will transition to asking more "how to" questions. 

Congrats on your purchase and finding what you wanted.  Now all we need to do is get you signed up as a dues paying member.

rob

Welcome to the club and congratulations on your find, Steve!  Listing has already been deleted by the seller.  Post some pics when you can.