Instrument cluster repair - Radio and Radio hole mount Repair

snomobeelr

I am going to pull out my dash and want to get the following things repaired and installed. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank's

1) Need to get my Tach and Fuel gauge fixed so I am gonna sent out the cluster.  I have seen  - The Tach Man and Bob's speedometer searching on internet. Any reference's on who to send it to?

2) Radio - Looking for a decent shaft stereo that will work. It does not have to be original or period correct.Bluetooth does not matter but would like to be able to use I-pod. 

3)  Any one repair the Radio mounting holes in the Dash? The towers are not there any longer someone cut them out.  

I remember reading on this site somewhere that they can and have been repaired but my forgettererer is working great today and my remembererer is getting slower and slower. I guess my remembererer is not really getting slower it is that I have so much info stored in my brain that it takes it longer to be retrieved.

Red line gauge can fix your gauge issues. Can you post a picture of your radio hole areas. I restore a lot of Monte/ Chevelle dashes. Have fixed many with radio hole issues. I am only about two hours away from you in Hartford, WI.

So what should I use to repair the Radio Towers. I did purchase a set of those metal cups. I would assume you grind holes flat and adhere the cups to the holes?  I was also wondering if you could use an old kenwood/Alpine or Pioneer that has RCA outputs or a DIN Plug  and is there a way to convent them to inputs for an IPOD?  

Thank You,

Alan 

I used some plumbing style caps for my dash. Took a nut and washer with me so that I had the right size cap. Drilled a hole in the center for the shaft to slide through and trim the cap down due to the offset on the shaft. The caps where then expory in place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still trying to figure out how to repair the radio holes.  What type of epoxy would I use once I figure out what to use for the Radio Towers. I bought an AM radio I am going to have it converted with new electronics and it came with the Nova - Metal Cups towers . I am not sure what to use or make for Plastic Cups /Radio Towers. I am unclear on Pluming caps?  

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought an AM radio on Ebay to get it converted by Turnswitch. The radio actually came with the Metal Cups/Towers for the Radio. So I started getting the dash ready. I was looking for a dremel not sure which one would be best. My cousin suggested the cheap one at Harbor frieght. It is a cheap piece of junk but  It ended up being perfect. It came with the bits and was enough to do the job and not powerful enough for me to screw it up..  Its all ready, I am going to mount the cups this weekend with some epoxy - AKA   J/B Weld..  Here are some pictures if your interested.  

post-44-0-18815700-1488512419_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-92570400-1488512432_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-74693200-1488512450_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-70720500-1488512465_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the Radio Cups are in, used the J/B weld not the prettiest but done.  I also wanted something solid for the dash mounting screws. I found threaded sleeves (Female Threaded Round Standoffs) from Mc-Master Carr, and used those. attached pictures if your interested and part below.  

Zinc-Plated 12L14 Steel Female Threaded Round Standoff, 1/4" OD, 3/4" Length, 8-32 Thread Size

https://www.mcmaster.com/#female-threaded-round-standoffs/=16q3w9u

post-44-0-37110800-1489343537_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-84796400-1489343549_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-74725500-1489343576_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-59399800-1489343598_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-55224400-1489343612_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-37028500-1489343666_thumb.jpg

How did you align them to the hole in the dash? I have an aftermarket pad that has those areas stripped out. I put some epoxy in the holes the last time the pad was off and it helped but looking for something better and this looks promising. 

I used the spot the screws originally went into the pad. I drilled that spot out.  I Test fit the sleeve and verified they were snug in the hole and test fit the pad to make sure they lined up... . The sleeves are open on both ends so I  I bought extra long screws and lightly coated the threads in Vaseline and screwed them  all the way through the sleeve until the screw was flush at the end. I made sure the sleeve was clean and I ruffed up the outside of the sleeve on the wire wheel.. Then I packed some jb weld in the dash hole. I Was able to push the sleeve in and the j/b weld squeezed past the sides. I left the screws in the sleeves until the the j/b weld cured.  

post-44-0-02355900-1489373378_thumb.jpg