Column shifter to floor shifter conversion help!

Guest brg187

Guest brg187

Hello, i searched around in here but wasnt able to find anything on anyone doing a column shifter to floor shifter conversion i.e. hurst shifter on a automatic trans. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to do this and/or is it as easy as cutting into the floor and hooking up a hurst shifter?

Easiest to do with the transmission out unfortunately, but you can probably do it with it in too. I have a B&M quick silver shifter and love it. All you have to do is drill a hole in the floor for the shift cable to go through, and 4 holes to mount the shifter. If you have a bench seat, make sure you put the shifter far enough to the front of the car that your seat can move far enough forward for you.

Guest brg187
Easiest to do with the transmission out unfortunately, but you can probably do it with it in too. I have a B&M quick silver shifter and love it. All you have to do is drill a hole in the floor for the shift cable to go through, and 4 holes to mount the shifter. If you have a bench seat, make sure you put the shifter far enough to the front of the car that your seat can move far enough forward for you.

What kind of trans do you have in your car.?

thanks...i just wasnt sure how easy/hard it may be...but that sounds pretty straight forward.

I'll second that, it is very easy...with the ability to follow directions you should have no problem with it.

I have the B&M mega shifter and have even used the side panel to mount alot of my control switches... smile

img0373smallzt8.jpg

If your interested send me an e-mail address and I have two pics I can send you. This link where the two pic are wasn't working just now for some reason? It may start working again soon so you can try it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stangeba/FloorShifter

Bruce

what kind of seats are those bill ?

Those are uncomfortable seats is what they are... crazy

They are Procar-Scat Rally Series 1000 Seats.

I would not suggest them to anyone, I got them from Summit. They are snug fitting and are great for drag racing or carving corners.... winkbut on long hauls the sides tend to push on my thighs and that gets annoying... mad

It just so happens the same seats are used for the picture in the interior section in our forum here... lol

sca-80-1000-51_w.jpg

Guest brg187
If your interested send me an e-mail address and I have two pics I can send you. This link where the two pic are wasn't working just now for some reason? It may start working again soon so you can try it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stangeba/FloorShifter

Bruce

yep that address seems to work now...i checked it out...i guess i got a floor shifter to put in

What did you end up doing with the hole from the column shifter...just left it open?

What hole? You change the steering column over to a floor shift type along with the speedo (PRND21 not used). I never changed over. I figured it would cost me over $1,000 to do it right and can't afford it. Still have the seats, perhaps someday. I wonder if anyone makes a conversion kit where you could buy what you still need?

Bruce

Guest Rich1970

I did the conversion on mine in 2002 to factory shifter and consule. There use to be a write up on the conversion floating around here with all the measurements and instructions. I just cant seem to find it now ,that conversion was not too hard .

I went ahead and picked up a tilt column at the time.

I have also heard of people grinding down the nub on the column but not to sure how they would fill it in.

the only thing you might need if you don't have it already, is the floor shift shift bracket for the transmission (that has the extra arm and slot for the shift cable) you will need to retain all the column shift equipment (removing only teh shift lever itself) if you want your backup lights, and nuetral saftey switch, steering column lock, and ignition lock to all function correctly. or you will need a complete manual shift column wink

Anybody ever look into using a Lokar set-up?? They have a unit that bolts to the tranny and a cable to hook it up to the linkage.I am just wondering what the proper measurements would be for the hole in the floor. It offers an option that does not have the black box that you mount to the floor.

www.lokar.com

I like the fact that you can make it look like it belongs there.

I wonder if the standard dimension for a four speed would work??