Removing transmission

zeusdude

Ok guys , I am getting ready to remove the transmission from the monte ,(th350).I remember doing a transmission on an 84 Elcamino,back when I was a twenty something with a friend,we didn't have any special tools that I could remember,and I haven't done this in a while ,will it be too terribly difficult to do by my self and can anyone give me and estimate on how long it will take and any pointers ,I do not have a tranny jack ,but I have three 2-1/2 ton jacks and I am going to harbor freight this weekend to buy a 2-1/2 ton long jack(lifts 30 inches).I have 6 ton jackstands and I'm doing it in a semi cramped 2 car garage.Any pointers would be appreciated.

Mike smile

Hmm, let's see...

You will need to jack up the Monte as HIGH as possible to get the tranny out from below.

Trannys are front heavy and even if you drain all fluid before, if it tips the torque converter will still have fluid in it - yucky!

Some bolts (espacially flywheel) could be hard to remove, soak them in PB Blaster a good time ahead.

Remove the tranny dipstick and vacuum lines before taking out the tranny!

Careful with the tranny line nuts, they round off easily.

Your engine could rock back and forth a bit without the tranny. Think about the cooling fan hitting the fan shroud and the distributor hitting the firewall...Not funny frown

I don't remember that ant special tools are required. Line wrenches maybe for the tranny hard lines....

Definitely useful. Also, you'll need the tool to rotate the flexplate all the way around to remove all three bolts between the flexplate and the torque converter. A plug for the tranny tailshaft is nice so you don't end up wearing tranny fluid. The best piece of advice is BE CAREFUL! If you've never removed a transmission with a floorjack, it can get a little scary. They're usually greasy and slippery and they are very heavy. A good friend of my uncle's lost a finger when his tranny fell off the jack! There are floor jack adapters like this one which make the job easier and safer. Like Andreas said, they are front heavy. So much so that it is possible (although very unlikely) that the converter will slide out of the front and hit the ground. Just be careful and take your time!

Mike

No special tools required to do this job. Before you jack it up, disconnect the battery, pull trany dipstick from tube and diconnect kickdown cable at the carb. As stated get the monte as high as possible, and safely on stands. Starting at the front, remove flywheel cover, the bolts holding the starter to the block, and tie the starter out of the way, or you can remove all together. It's best to go ahead and drain the trany pan of fluid. Remove the converter bolts, you can turn the flywheel with a large screwdriver(wedge between the teeth and the bellhousing and rotate). Next you'll want to put your jack under the trany pan, may need a piece of 2X6 or so under the pan. If you have a ratchet strap, run it up over the trany and attach to the jack. Remove the cross member, speedo cable, linkage and driveshaft(mark the relationship to the pinion yoke). You can take a small plastic cup or ? and duct tape the output shaft to keep from losing fluid. You might want to put a block of wood under the oil pan to help support it. Lower the trany alittle bit to get the lines off, then the bellhousing bolts and the tube. Rock the trans back and forth to break it lose from the line-up dowels, lower the jack and pull back to clear the flywheel. Lower to floor and pull out from underneath.

That's all there is to it. Should only take about an hour by yourself.

Where I used to work, another guy and me would remove and install these and the car would be out the door in less than 1 hour. That was on the floor also. He would do one side and I'd do the other. Team work.

Good luck. If you run into trouble shoot me an e-mail. Would be glad to help.

A very long extension for your ratchet or lots of short ones will make it easier to get the top bell housing bolts off. Put one of your jacks under the engine to keep it in place. As noted above, the distributer could hit the firewall or the fan hit the shroud.

• 5 months later...

Hi - saw this thread and thought I would revisit it. Can the engine & tranny be removed as one unit? I am replacing both, so it would be great if I could save some time by removing them together...

Not a very good pic, but you get the point. Like Lloyd said, get the car way up in the air. You'll notice a jack under the car. Once the engine and trans has been lowered in the car, you can use a jack to pick up the tailshaft so you can get the crossmember in. A cherry picker with a lot of height really helps. And one of those engine tilter/load lever things is very handy!

Picture224a.jpg

Oh yeah, and getting something this big and heavy that high in the air is awfully scary! Be very careful and work slowly! At least one extra set of eyes and hands will help, too.

Mike

I pulled my big block and turbo 400 as a unit. Get a plug or an old yoke to keep the tranny fluid in the tranny not on the floor. Pull the distributor to keep it from hitting the fire wall when the engine tilts back from the weight of the tranny.

Hi - saw this thread and thought I would revisit it. Can the engine & tranny be removed as one unit? I am replacing both, so it would be great if I could save some time by removing them together...

As it was mentioned...yes.

With my radiator removed I was able to install (removal would be the same) the motor, the tranny, and an overdrive unit all assembled...vehicle was not jacked up but tranny crossmember was removed and installed after.

Using a engine leveler and being able to tilt the motor is helpful if not a must.

2197906_29_full.jpg

It helps a lot to have one of those tools for tilting the engine.Take your time ..lift move,lift pull forward ect.