Vertical bumper guards

Ed Wieder

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

Note the front ones are the same as the front 70 Chevelle/El Camino. The rear ones are Monte only.

Aaron beat me to this reply.  You can still find them sometimes on ebay.

rob

Hi, Ed,

I don't think you can make a simpler and nicer upgrade to the appearance of a first gen Monte than to add front and rear bumper guards so I would encourage you to pursue such a project.  There are a few NOS guards out there but they tend to be pretty pricey, of course.  There are many more useful cores which can be re-chromed and assembled with new rubber inserts.  I have actually used both methods on two '70s.  You may find a driver quality set for a bit less, but if you can get a complete set (front and rear) of show quality guards for under $400, you have done very well.

I have included some photos below of the set I had re-chromed ($75 plus tax and shipping each) and the new rubber inserts (around $25 a pair if I remember correctly).  The most challenging (and important) part of this project is getting a total of six mounting holes drilled in your front and rear bumpers in exactly the correct locations (unless you happen to have a pre-drilled bumper, of course).  It is almost imperative that you use templets and squares/levels/plumbs to get the correct vertical alignment and careful measuring to get the correct horizontal spacing. 

I have many more photos of both front and rear installations if you decide to do the project - just let me know.  Good luck!

P4015202.JPG

P4015206.JPG

P4015207.JPG

P4015209.JPG

P4025220.JPG

P4025225.JPG

P4025237.JPG

P4025256.JPG

P4025270.JPG

• Like 1