roller cam and lifters

i have a family member who is talkin about goin roller in his 468 big block. how do u go about putting the lifters in? do u tighten them down like hyd. lifters and then a 1/4 turn more or do u just tighten them down until the push rod doesnt move.

once you get them set correctly it will be fine, after that...check them once or twice a year

I won't use a hydraulic cam again unless I'm doing a factory stock rebuild, I am just feed up with hydraulic lifters (flat or roller)

They are heavy, and absorb a little of the lift compared to solids.

I personally like them, sorry Sam! I know there are some people who have bashed them in the past--not Sam by the way wink , but they really are great for the street in my opinion. You just can't plan on revving the engine much above 6000-6500 rpm because they are so heavy and cause the valves to float earlier than a solid roller, but you probably won't do on a street car anyway. I like them because they allow decent lift and quick ramps while keeping down some of the "harshness" that a solid roller will exert on the cam/lifters. They are easier on the valve trane as well, and have less friction, and no lobes flattening out. You should get good name parts though, don't skimp on the lifters. If you have a roller on a lifter go bad, solid OR hydraulic, you are hosed as the cam will be trashed.

I just converted to a hyd/roller on my 454 to avoid some of the issues surrounding lower phosphorus/zinc levels in commercial oils. Have seen to many cams with really pre mature wear do to this issue and quality issues of flat tappet cams and lifters.

My builder and a well known speed shop (S&K Speed) on Long Island highly recommended the Crower Hydraulic lifters. They both said they are the only ones they have seen that do not lose pump-up over time which effects overall lift. To finish out conversion went with crower stainless steel roller rockers and cam to avoid any warranty issues in the future. This way each manufacturer does not blame others part. Stuck with Crower throughout.

Thought I would share recommendations I received.

Dan

oh i agree.. roller all the way.. but I guess I've been lucky with hydrallic lifters *shrug*.. but like scott says, my cam can't breathe past 6000 rpm anyway.. (5800 is about the limit of any usuable power) so its a non issue smile

my next cam upgrade, I'm going to full roller lifter, maybe solid, I dont' know yet..