aftermkt. fuel gauge prob OR sending unit prob ???

Kevin Wiles

Kevin, I had a sender do exactly the same thing. I washed the sender down with NON flamable brake cleaner to get the gas off it..

then I cut that metal 'wire' that goes up to the top of the sender, soldered on a regular wire, cut the 'snap' fitting off, and just ran the wire out thru the hole smile

with a little RTV around it for good measure. that worked great until I got another sender from Leo smile

Jared no autofair for you? I'm not sure what I'm doing yet saturday but I'll let you know. I do need some parts, namely almost all the cables for the emergency brake including the ones that go into the brake drum itself. I'll take inventory and let you know exactly what i need.

tim, hopefully my spare sending unit that I almost forgot i had at my dads house works fine. that'll save me 45-55 bucks. btw is it possible to get a new ring that secures the sender into place? they don't include it with a new piece and mine's a little bent. might just hammer it back straight though.

i don't know.. try your local parts store.. you would be amazed at what they can get.. if not, I'm sure leo could help you out smile

One thing I ran into when replacing my sender, the fuel gauge read 3/4 full when I filled up. I had to bend the float rod a little to get a true reading, then I was all set.

I'M GLAD TO SAY: It works!! Installed my used fuel sender from "Jared, the Galleria of Monte" and everything is normal. A big thank you to all who helped narrow it down. I learned a lot.

kevin