Converter Swap?

vince

I am in the planning stage of changing my torque converter. So in order to pull the transmission, the following things need to be done. Pull the shifter cable, disconnect the lines to the radiator, remove all the blots to the block and move all the bolts on the cross member.

Is there anything else that I should know about?

Also does the converter bolt to the flywheel?

yes, remove torque converter cover, unbolt the converter from the flywheel, drop the driveshaft (have a drain pan ready), dipstick tube

you may have to drop the exhaust too

Oh!! yes the driveshaft I forgot about that.

Now is it possable to use two long bolts on the top two holes of the transmission and slide the transmission back on them? will that give you enough room do the converter swap? Or is it necessary to remove the transmissiom completly?

Nope, you will need to have the trans sitting about 8 inches away from the block. If you have the car on jack stands, it is possible to just lower the tranny a little, and move it back enough to do the swap, then move it back into place, but you should really have help to do it so the tranny doesn't fall on you. they are HEAVY, and it can be a challenge to get the converter to slide in all the way without jiggling quite a bit which can make the tranny fall off the stand if you're not careful.

yeah i'd reccomend you pull it from the car too... if it's a TH350 it's not *too* heavy.. but if it's a 400 or a 700r4 you are in for a heavy weight battle.. buy a trans jack eithier way. .you will be happy you did.

Well there is an easy way to check if the convertor is all the way back.That is whne you bolt the tranny back to the motor and all bolts are tight the convertor should be away from the flywheel and spin freely if it does not spin freely then the convertor is not all the way back

Sam,

Is this seal located where the converter slides into the transmission? and Is the seal attached to the trasmission or converter?

Sorry for all the lame questions, This is my first attempt of doing this.