March Pully Upgrade / conversion

I need some advice here.

I am considering my next upgrade to be one of the March pulley / Serpentine belt conversions. Because my garage is not yet built, This is actually one of those things I will NOT have to farm out to a shop, and I can at least say, I busted a few knuckles bled a little and sweated some over my car. It really bugs me to have all my work done by shop, but never mind that.

My problem is, I'm a little mystified with what Summit and Jegs are displaying on their respective web sites.

Every Kit I look at from March shows the A/C on the left side of the motor, and the alternator on the right hand side. This is as if you are facing the motor as it sits in the car, and you are standing at the front bumper.

My 1972 like everyone Ive seen has this reversed. My A/c is on the right and the alternator is on the left, again if you are standing facing the motor as described above.

I'm assuming I will have to move everything, buy shorter hoses for the AC, etc.

Does anyone have one of these March pulley systems on their 454? If so did you move the A/C and alternator?

Here is a shot of my engine, and how is sits now, A/C to your right, Alternator to your left.

car-007.jpg

And then a Picture of what I am finding on Summit / Jeg's

**This one is complete with the A/C compressor, since mine has never been converted to R-134 I would probably just go ahead and do so. **

mch-20350_w.jpg

Any idea's if I am looking at the right kit, or if someone makes a kit that will support the current configuration of my 454?

Thanks in advance!!

That's a pretty sweet looking set up. We didn't go with a serpentine set up but did upgrade out brackets and the PS, WP, & ALT to aluminum? ones....anyhow one thing to keep in mind is you are going to want to ditch the fan shroud and get electric fans...otherwise the dumb shroud hides all the purdy stuff.

Quote:
anyhow one thing to keep in mind is you are going to want to ditch the fan shroud and get electric fans...otherwise the dumb shroud hides all the purdy stuff.

laugh That's not a fan shroud you see on my car ...that's the Holland Tunnel... laugh

Here's ours but as you can see the shroud makes it really difficult to get a good view of it. Electric fans are on the list, but Mike says he has to have a B-Cool radiator to go along with and its just not in the budget right now.

April2008GoodguysTiffsBDay093.jpg

Purty stuff Jaylene~!!

Okay, I've been diggin around on March's website, I *think* This would be the right kit to avoid moving the A/C and Alternator on a 454 equipped Monte ... I'm not sure if it will work with the OEM A/C compressor or not tho. I'll have to call them and ask.

March Pulley Systems

Kit # 23070 or 23080 depending on your power steering pump.

img0248zv7.jpg

This is a March pulley system that I have on my 70SS. You can see the compressor on the lower left with the lines coming out. I will see if I can find the kit # for you.

Vaughn

Vaugn do you recall what kit that is? Or did you piece it together. That looks like what I want to get someday...

Ian

ian.. it's a march kit.. I can't remember which kit off hand tho.

it was necessary to go to that kit because with the stock brackets on that 502... the power steering pulley wouldn't clear the power steering box.