Low profile intake for 454?

JP_AstroMan

Anyone have a suggestion for a low profile aluminum intake manifold for a 454? I'm concerned about height under the Monte's hood. I currently have the extremely low profile original cast iron manifold with a Holley Sniper on top. 

Thanks folks!

My car came with a Edelbrock Performer with the original Rochester carb. It didn't have any issues with the hood. I'm not sure the difference in height beteen the two.

7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Edelbrock RPM air gap, one inch spacer and stock z/28 dual snorkel air cleaner. No issues what so ever.

IMG_20190928_174651.jpg

Hey Thomas I’m looking at The vacuum line that goes to your power brake booster. It looks like it’s going under the fender where is that line going? I thought it went to the intake manifold behind the carburetor.

John S

Good eyes! Lol. The brake booster line is going to a vacuum pump for the brakes that I installed behind the washer bottle. Lots of room there. On the passenger side, same area I have the MSD6al. All hidden. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Good eyes! Lol. The brake booster line is going to a vacuum pump for the brakes that I installed behind the washer bottle. Lots of room there. On the passenger side, same area I have the MSD6al. All hidden. Lol

What is the reason for the vacuum pump? Is there a slightly hotter cam in the engine that results in lower vacuum, and does the pump boost vacuum? Or is it simply for better booster operation?

The trick is in the air cleaner base. I ran a RPM Q-jet manifold with a drop base air cleaner and it all fit. I ran a 3" tall filter...the lid constantly rubbed the underhood insulation, but never the hood.

4.7 inches for the Q-Jet is fairly low profile, comparatively. I should have mentioned I want to go single plane for the Sniper EFI. So it's really looking like the Torker II is the only for-sure-it-will-fit option. I am a little concerned about heat with it being so low. 

Are you saying you want to keep the Sniper and the stock air cleaner and just add a higher manifold? Cannot help with that combo but FWIW I can say the following setups work. I ran a factory aluminum high rise intake with a 780 Holley and a drop base aircleaner..no issues. Currently there is a factory high rise 3x2 (Vette 1967) wth the factory Vette air cleaner on the car, again no issues.

I suggest the following...find a way to check the height of your Air cleaner  / sniper combo and compare it to the height of a 780 Holley with a drop base air cleaner. If the sniper / factory air cleaner you have is the same as the 780 / drop base air cleaner combo you could be good to go with the GM factory manifold. I think the last digits of the 4 BBL manifold I had on the car were "193". If the sniper / closed element air cleaner combo ( assuming you want to keep those )are taller that the "193" / Holley / drop base combo you need to continue searching beyond what I have suggested. The Holley 780 / drop base air cleaner / "193" combo was pretty close to the hood with the A/C element I had. Don't know the height of the element I was running. 

F88CA3E0-4D41-4499-A253-B999474490F5.jpeg

On 5/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, JP_AstroMan said:

4.7 inches for the Q-Jet is fairly low profile, comparatively. I should have mentioned I want to go single plane for the Sniper EFI. So it's really looking like the Torker II is the only for-sure-it-will-fit option. I am a little concerned about heat with it being so low. 

Yes, the Torker II on your 454 should fit under your hood ... barely (unless the Sniper EFI is taller than a typical Holley carb).  I have a Torker II on my 402 with an AED 750 and a 3" Edelbrock drop base air cleaner.  I have to use a very flat nut on the air cleaner lid stud to keep from snagging the hood blanket.

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

7 hours ago, MCfan said:

Yes, the Torker II on your 454 should fit under your hood ... barely (unless the Sniper EFI is taller than a typical Holley carb).  I have a Torker II on my 402 with an AED 750 and a 3" Edelbrock drop base air cleaner.  I have to use a very flat nut on the air cleaner lid stud to keep from snagging the hood blanket.

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

Definitely will be close. I'll be holding my breath. Thanks for the peace of mind.