Monte Carlo update.

No, the other end of the shaft has a different style keying. That shaft is a single piece that features the steering wheel on one end and the spline in the pic at the other. I have a GM training manual that covers the steering columns. Its raining buckets outside and i have to move the car out to access the book, but ill get some pics of the parts breakdown of the steering column for you posted when i can access the cabinet full of car repair books again. 

On 10/26/2021 at 9:28 PM, 71SSclone said:

Dennis,

I didn't really mind replacing the center link, idler and pitman arms. They looked original, and with them being 50 years old, new parts certainly didnt hurt. My problem is that Im almost out of adjustment (2-3 turns) on the right side and I have 4-5 threads showing on the left side. I need to bring the right side in as much as possible, (tires are pointed to the right) and extend the left side out an equal amount. To me, that just doesn't seem right. Next time its aligned, I'm going to be underneath to see whats going on. 

Right here tells ya the tie rods are out of adjustment due to the steering box not being centered. 

My steering box spline is keyed and only fits on the pitman arm one way. Maybe yours is different.  I had initially thought that as well so I took the whole thing apart, again, to center the steering box on the pitman arm. Nope, its keyed. I wish it was that easy. 

For all intensive purposes the idler arm and pitman arm are stationary. Make sure front wheels are perfectly straight ( because right now you said it is aligned straight). Pull the center link off the pitman and idler arm. Pull the tie rods off the spindles and drop the whole steering assembly to the ground. Do not jack up the car it will throw your alignment off. Center your steering wheel where you want it, it should move the pitman arm around an inch. Adjust you tie rods to the new position of the pitman arm. You can remove the drivers side inner, outer and sleeve as one unit and position center link and make adjustment. Make sure that you have the tie rods positions correct. Inner and outer. They are the same except for the threads. One is right hand and the other is left hand. You should be able to make all necessary adjustments now. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Easier way. 
Its a curse for me to be driving all day and thinking.

Strait wheels,do not jack up and knock the two inner tie rods out of the center link. Reposition steering wheel and adjust tie rods to the new hole positions of the center link. Easy peasy. 

11 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Easier way. 
Its a curse for me to be driving all day and thinking.

Strait wheels,do not jack up and knock the two inner tie rods out of the center link. Reposition steering wheel and adjust tie rods to the new hole positions of the center link. Easy peasy. 

Thanks Dennis,  I'll try this and see what happens

• Like 1