Metal brace in original door weatherstrip

Changing door weatherstripping (from metro moldings) and it feels great but it has no reinforcement . The old weatherstrip had a steel wire to hold it to the fixing clips, and this (photo) metal strip at the door hinge end to give the weatherstrip shape. Should I be replacing this and where do I get one / what’s it called? Or do you just glue the replacement on without the metal?

71780571-616C-4023-A2AB-C680D36CBC9D.thumb.jpeg.a7d0bd62512a972eeb50502ba0f0b5ca.jpeg

is it possible this is just a diy repair for a failing weatherstrip?

I replaced my weatherstrip & don’t remember seeing anything like that. 
I think I’m going to glue mine as they won’t stay up properly when window is down. 

must be some DIY botch to fix failing weatherstrip so. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive and I can't see it working without it. As it is, the glass pulls on the new strip at the handle end of the door. The clips hold it roughly in place but I think it needs a generous dollop of glue both sides and to hold it in place while it dries. works great though, the door closes lovely now!

Paul,

Is that the piece from the back end of the window moulding ???

If so, it was originally coated in rubber, and can be found (usually as a kit) at most restoration suppliers. 

Parts place sells two versions.