1972 MC 350/Auto - Suspension Upgrade

@cny first gen 71 and @MC1of80, thanks guys.  I guess I was almost there and didn't consider jacking up one side to lower the other ... hmm, makes sense though.  I will give it a shot tonight, though my coworker showed up with the spring compressors too.  Updates coming!

• Like 1
  • You're Welcome 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

@cny first gen 71 and @MC1of80, thanks guys.  I guess I was almost there and didn't consider jacking up one side to lower the other ... hmm, makes sense though.  I will give it a shot tonight, though my coworker showed up with the spring compressors too.  Updates coming!

I learned that here from Aaron,  I always had a helper at the shop that would pull down in the tire to get them in. One time at the shop I worked at was working on a ferd and another guy put a pry bar between the axel and frame to get a spring in well the bar slipped and I moved out of the way but my foot stayed planted on the floor my knee twisted nicely had surgery 3 weeks later was out of work for 10 weeks that's why I'm always very careful working on stuff now. Safety first. 

Update ... new rear coil springs and isolators installed. Much easier with the borrowed set of spring compressors, for sure. I was really tempted to drop it down and see the stance but I've got more work to do while the jack stands are giving a gravity assist.

Onto the front end - SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!!!!!!!!!!  I had no idea the front end was in as bad a shape as it is. I mean, check out that passenger side upper ball joint. Geez!  I guess I'm in the market for a front end rebuild kit.  Onward and upward!

IMG_20231113_203502883.jpg

IMG_20231113_203442004.jpg

IMG_20231113_203549155.jpg

IMG_20231113_203533323.jpg

• Like 1

For the front suspension rebuild I'm going with an inexpensive stock replacement for now.  As mentioned in previous posts on this thread, at some point I may go 'full bore' on the suspension upgrade to do some track-racing.  So keeping the car on all four while not breaking the bank, for now, is the immediate goal.

I found the kit linked below on the OPG web site for $193.  The price for the same kit on Summit is $240.  This will be a fun afternoon project, with a buddy, for sure.  I've still got the borrowed spring-compressors, along with a generous pickle fork and some sledge hammers!!

https://www.opgi.com/chassis-suspension/steering-components/standard-front-end-rebuild-kits5/rebuild-kit-front-end-1971-72-a-body-oval-rk1008.html

Note: This same kit is offered with oval or round lower rear control arm bushings.  I called OPG and one of the tech's there informed me that some Monte Carlos came with an oval bushing there, and some came with a round one.  Sort of a who-made-it and where-was-it-made thing.  My MC has the oval bushing, confirmed this morning before I left the house.  The more you know!

IMG_20231115_073815662.jpg

• Like 3

First I'd call to make sure they have it in stock, also I'd suggest the center link (as long as your going to do all of that) not in that kit and probably going to have to have the bushings pressed in. Good luck be careful with the springs they can hurt.

• Like 1