1970 Rocker Panel Clips

Attached are some pictures of the plastic rocker panel clips. Do they slide into the trim with the little tail pointing up or down? Also the tapered nub that pushes into a hole is about .425 diameter. what size hole should I drill? The relief dim. that is after the taper is about .290. I have no holes in the body. I can keep the trim straight in the area below the door. But I could use some advise to keep the holes in front and back of the door in a straight line.  Thanks, Wayne.

20230413_091807.jpg

20230413_091758.jpg

20230413_091825.jpg

20230413_092210.jpg

20230413_092220.jpg

Not sure of the hole size, my car had holes in it. I measured 0.274" at the very base of the stud & 0.420 at the widest on my clips. A 5/16 drill would probably be perfect (0.3125). Someone who has a car in project phase could probably slip a drill bit in the hole for you to get an accurate measurement & verify.

This should show you how the clip works. It doesn't matter if the tail points up or down, it matters that it's positioned to prevent the clip from rotating and slipping off the trim piece. If installed properly, you will have NO trouble with them.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23354-chrome-stainless-polishing/#comment-219062

20230413_103105.jpg

• Like 1

My base is .285   So I would use a drill a little smaller than .3125 (5/16). Thanks I see how they are used. My only concern is drilling the holes in a straight line. Keeping them the same dimension in the Y axes .   In the X axes I can slide them back and forth a little. Also how many clips should I use per rocker trim?

I just did a test hole in a piece of sheet metal and a  .3125 (5/16) is the right size. I still have to figure a way of measuring in the Y axis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whons said:

how many clips should I use per rocker trim?

There will be 7 for the 8400 clips (yellow), and one hole for the plastic insert with Philips head screw at the rear (red)

55 minutes ago, Whons said:

I still have to figure a way of measuring in the Y axis.

The top of the rocker trim will pretty much be flush with the horizontal rocker opening. It'll also be just below the body seam where the green arrows are. 

Lay the trim in place, measure and mark the centerline of the trim where the clips will be installed, then go to town. (You can string a line, use tape, a long straight edge etc. to mark the line horizontally.). The rocker trim is 1.5" wide, you'll likely end up putting the holes 3/4" below that body line. Check first, obviously.

Here's a snip of my car on the body cart before wheeling it around to the booth to paint the underside & edge the door jambs, etc.

rocker.JPG

• Like 2

Joe sort of beat me. I don’t know what order the will load but here goes. This is my 71 parts body with all the clips ( broken ) but still attached. 7, like Joe said and the one nut zert on the quarter panel. The measurements are taken off my pos70. Looks like 2 1/2 from the bottom of the rocker. Don’t forget you have the front fender to do also. I can’t remember if there are two or three. I’m sure you know this but I’m saying it anyway, there’s a left and a right molding, screw in the rear and front taper follows the fender shape. 

9605728C-ED08-499E-A03F-300187E536A8.jpeg

5FCD870D-98AF-431A-9AD3-6125724D5742.jpeg

A9E553F6-F097-4619-A1F8-C7D57DCE3AAE.jpeg

23E16E9E-FBAE-4F95-AA21-AC66D1813B98.jpeg

06D7317B-EB17-4907-BE30-ADD61C1052DA.jpeg

34452742-0F96-4AE4-89E3-655C09CD3125.jpeg

716AE0DB-2759-476A-8157-F99F6520DBD6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whons said:

Thank You very much. This will really help me out.

You're welcome.

Re-read the post, I added measurements for the rocker trim.

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Looks like 3/4 exactly from the top down and 2 1/2 from the bottom up. 

Thanks for double checking the 3/4" number.

Can you get the horizontal hole spacing from the front edge, all the way back?

14 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Thanks for double checking the 3/4" number.

Can you get the horizontal hole spacing from the front edge, all the way back?

Yep. Hold on. My pos70 is on the rotisserie, sideways and blocked in. I’m lying on the concrete. Let’s see how this will turn out   Lol. 

1) 6 1/2

2) 14 1/4

3) 22

4) 29 1/2”’

5) 37 1/2

6) 45 1/4

7) 53

nut zert) 63 1/2. 
take it for what it’s worth. Lying on my back with a tape measure. But like said I don’t think the distance between will matter much but at least they are close. Now I will go to the shed and look at fenders. I’m taking the golf cart. Lol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dtret said:

. I’m lying on the concrete. 

I'd like to say I feel your pain, but I'm in the hot tub now.😄

Wayne. I would hold off on drilling the nut zert one until the molding is just settling in place. That one has to be exact. So make sure it fits correctly on the front tapered edge of the fender. The rest will slide. 

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I'd like to say I feel your pain, but I'm in the hot tub now.😄

Good for you. You must have overextended yourself getting him the information. 😝😝

6 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Good for you. You must have overextended yourself getting him the information. 😝😝

That, plus I went for a good bicycle ride prior. 

Yes I agree that the hole for the screw in the rear should be spotted last.  I'm going to use 7 clips with one as close to the front as possible. So there will be approx. 11 1/8" between the center of each clip and the rear hole. Dennis you said to put the first hole at 6.5".  Why? I'm going to put the first hole as close to the front behind the front fender as possible. Joe thanks for mentioning keeping the rocker trim just below the body line in the rear. I will use a piece of masking tape for the short front section. Then mark and drill all the holes except the rear one for the screw. then with all the clips in place I will gently push the trim in part way in each 5/16" hole, the spot the rear hole with a transfer punch. Thanks everyone I plan on doing this tomorrow ,got all the clips in and equally spaced.    Wayne

21 minutes ago, Whons said:

I'm going to put the first hole as close to the front behind the front fender as possible. 

I would NOT do that...at all. The factory put those holes where they are for a reason, and I agree 100% with the reason Dennis mentioned.

Also, unless you are planning to put holes in the fenders exactly where the factory did (height wise), I'd make absolutely sure those fenders are lined up properly to the doors, rockers, etc. before drilling any holes in them as well. If you have to shim them up/out/etc., do that first. It's time consuming, but the results will be worth it in the long run.

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

6 1/2 inches is where it is at on my 70 and 71 bodies. Probably to leave some flex between the body and fender. 

:iagree:       

(I added a new emoji just for this!  😄)

• Like 1

Ok that makes sense I'll put the holes at the locations noted (that's from the front going back) right? I also did another test drill in some sheet metal. Going to drill 11/32" instead of 5/16".  would have been a little to much force and I don't want any marks pushing out on the rocker trim. Thanks again for all the advise.   Wayne.

Dennis, Your measurements must be wrong. The dimension from the front to the rear hole on my trim is 79 1/2"  not 63 1/2" like you mentioned. please advise.  thanks  Wayne

I think Dennis measured from the front edge of the rocker for the holes for the clips. Iif my memory is working correctly from my 72 those were the measurements I had