Tremec 5 Speed

201fireman

I put a TKX in my 69 Z/28 last year. It replaced a different 5-speed though, a Doug Nash. Also converted it to  hydraulic clutch setup. The entire system works real good, wouldn't change a thing. I went with Silversport as the vendor for the trans and hyd. clutch setup. 

• Like 1

Yea I have a 489 with a TH400. I so want to do it but wasn't sure. That's a pretty hefty cost. Did you get a conversion (kit) from a company and if so, who? Or did you just buy the trans and piece the rest together. 

9 minutes ago, 201fireman said:

Yea I have a 489 with a TH400. I so want to do it but wasn't sure. That's a pretty hefty cost. Did you get a conversion (kit) from a company and if so, who? Or did you just buy the trans and piece the rest together. 

I bought from silver sport transmission also.

32 minutes ago, 201fireman said:

Mine is behind a heavily modified 454 LS6. So far no issues, but I haven't really beat it up either.

I did get a kit, but it was for a F-body (obviously). I was able to pick and choose what parts I wanted though, as some things I just didn't need. The hyd. clutch setup was not part of the kit. I liked their setup better than the others in how it bolted to the firewall, and some of the others I heard had leakage issues. I did a lot of looking at the time and decided on theirs. It used an OEM type of T.O. bearing too, which I liked. I went with their shifter too, which was spec'd out for a big block, with console application (they install it in house, thus maintaining the warranty too)..

Call them up, they're real helpful. I went thru Jeff Kauffman, who is actually the VP of sales and marketing. Most of the other potential vendors were very knowledgeable though.

Their documentation was really good too, which also helped sell me.

• Like 1

I am considering this also. But since you have done it, I have two questions for you. Number one some videos I have watched show adjustable dowel pins and lining up the transmission with the crankshaft. Was that necessary? Number two what did you do with the back drive rod that turns the steering column to lock the ignition? I know the transmission has a reverse light set up in it. Curious to know what you did with the steering column. Thank you. 
John S

6 minutes ago, John S said:

I am considering this also. But since you have done it, I have two questions for you. Number one some videos I have watched show adjustable dowel pins and lining up the transmission with the crankshaft. Was that necessary? Number two what did you do with the back drive rod that turns the steering column to lock the ignition? I know the transmission has a reverse light set up in it. Curious to know what you did with the steering column. Thank you. 
John S

Checking the bellhousing runout is a must, they want you to also send them the numbers to maintain your warranty. (Mine was nearly perfect, with a aftermarket steel scatter shield)

I didn't use the back drive rod for the steering column. I did use the reverse light switch on the transmission. 

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

Checking the bellhousing runout is a must, they want you to also send them the numbers to maintain your warranty.

I didn't use the back drive rod for the steering column. I did use the reverse light switch on the transmission. 

OK thanks in regards to the back drive rod. Did you just rotate the steering column so you could turn the key and remove it?

46 minutes ago, John S said:

OK thanks in regards to the back drive rod. Did you just rotate the steering column so you could turn the key and remove it?

Yes, it never moves.

On 7/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, John S said:

Hello John!

Been looking at your 5 Speed plans. I kinda disappeared for a long time....three health issues but I hope they are behind me now. Tried to compose a new private message to you but the system thinks my Inbox is full and wants me to clean out the Inbox. I deleted a bunch of messages but the system is still mad to me . Give me a response to this post and maybe we can communicate outside the forum. Don't want to put e-mail addresses here in public.

1 hour ago, LS65Speed said:

Tried to compose a new private message to you but the system thinks my Inbox is full and wants me to clean out the Inbox. I deleted a bunch of messages but the system is still mad to me . Give me a response to this post and maybe we can communicate outside the forum. Don't want to put e-mail addresses here in public.

We put restrictions on posts, number of PM's, etc for non-members a while back.

Non-member restrictions. 

(The daily posting limit has been bumped up to 3, from the original changes, and is often changed on the fly if a hot topic is being discussed which involves a non-member).

• Like 2