M20 OR INPUT SHAFT

The throwout bearing does not ride on the input shaft. It rides on the front bearing retaining collar that the input shaft comes through. 

Do you mean the retaining collar is bent??

• Like 2

I would think that would cause a nasty vibration. Input shaft into pilot bearing causing clutch vibration. Good thing you found it before it caused all kinds of other problems. 

• Like 1

All good, just making sure we all have the correct part in mind. 

The only time the clutch disc slides on the shaft is when you are installing or removing the transmission. Otherwise it's pretty much stationary. Only part that slides is the throwout bearing on the retaining collar. 

Also the front of the "shaft" goes into the pilot bearing that is in the back of the crankshaft. So if the "shaft" is bent somehow it won't go into the bushing or if it does the trans mounting bolts to the bell housing won't line up. Moreover the trans has a close tolerance to the bell housing mounting and won't sit flush with each other.

I'm trying to understand what you are saying and figure out the possible issue. 

Also your heading states you are looking for an M20 or the shaft? What year M20? Earlier than 71 the M20 has a th350 size output shaft where 71 and up have the th400 size output shaft.

• Like 1

Is the input shaft a coarse or fine spline? Sort of coincides with the years Tom mentions, the cut off date for coarse was 1970, after that they had the fine splines.

It looks like replacement input shafts are readily available from a number of sources, but it makes a difference on the input shaft spline (10 or 26) and gear tooth (21 or 24) count, depending on the year.. 

I do happen to have a couple of coarse spline M20 complete transmissions in stock here, if it's determined that's what you really want/need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

Is the input shaft a coarse or fine spline? Sort of coincides with the years Tom mentions, the cut off date for coarse was 1970, after that they had the fine splines.

It looks like replacement input shafts are readily available from a number of sources, but it makes a difference on the input shaft spline (10 or 26) and gear tooth (21 or 24) count, depending on the year.. 

I do happen to have a couple of coarse spline M20 complete transmissions in stock here, if it's determined that's what you really want/need. 

Look at Joe with the "in stock"!!!    Tom keep your eye on him!!

I would like to tell Kevin to call Steve Demers from the club, his side kick (John) at all the shows at Carlisle rebuilds and sells them. Not sure he has what you need but another option.