Hey Carl / 1972mc

72MC

IMG_8028.jpg

Richmond 4:10's for a series 3 carrier. Ring gear has more "meat" than the series 4 type.

IMG_8031.jpg

IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_8032.jpg Mark Williams yoke and Denny's Driveshaft nitrous ready driveshaft with 1350 joints.

Hey Carl, take a look. Will call you when I can get down to your place to set yours up. Hopefully, within the first half of Janaury. - Dave

Ian, I have a "mock up rear"(no axle tubes) and bearings that slip fit the pinion so I can get the proper BL, shim packs, and pattern. Once I get all tolerances correct, the new bearings go on and then the carrier goes in the actual rear. Once installed, I double check tolerances, etc and seal her up.

Dave

did you shim the clutches to eliminate the pressure plate and springs? if so let me know how it works.

thanks.

i was going to do that when i changed my clutches to carbon, but didn't know how well it would work, so i shimmed the clutches and put 400lbs springs also.

thanh

Thanh, yes the clutches get shimmed. I have built only 4 rears now and none get the springs(so far no problems). I learned how to do rears from a guy that did them for thirty years in an area of Virginia(Sterling) known for street draggin in the day (60'-80's). I didn't realize how good he was til I started telling people who taught me and they knew him and stated, "he was the guy to see back in the day". The first thing he taught me was, "get rid of those stickin springs, you don't need them". I can't say I fully understood his technical talk, I just took it as gospel. I have since done some internet research and there are alot of other sources saying the same thing.

Another thing he taught that goes against the grain is that there is no need for a crush sleeve. I have studied it and tend to agree with him, however, I do use Richmond's spacer instead of a crush sleeve. That takes some setting up as well.

One piece of advice from your post regarding carbon fiber clutches. I wouldn't use them. The "snowflake" or "daisy wheel" design and the carbon fiber clutches do not last long. There was a movement out there to make posi more driver friendly and it didn't work right. The carbon fiber clutches wear out quicker and the snowflake design break easy under the stress. The best clutches are still the old style solid steel clutches with a 10-17 set(pretty standard now)of spider gears.

I still owe alot to Mr. Apple. He unloaded alot of knowledge and chevy goodies on me before he moved to Arizona for retirement. And to think, I met him on e-bay just trying to buy a 1972 VA state license plate. - Dave