Dare to be different?

Marks71

Just read Joes post and comments regarding the GM - UAW cruise that sparked me to get this off my chest. Hot Rod magazine coined the phrase, I think in the 80s or maybe early 90s “dare to be different” to promote the cars you just don’t see. Are we in that group? I’ve had my 69 Z/28 for 24 years and have been going to shows as a spectator 25 years prior to owning it. As you know, like tri five Chevys, first gen Camaros at shows are everywhere. Went to a big show out here in SoCal. 2500 cars and no first gens. I would have been the only one had my trans seal arrived on time. 1 second gen, I believe a 74. There was even an Edsel wagon. It was always apparent to me that they were few and far between, but now that I have finally replaced my first car (a 71 purchased in 74) it’s more apparent than ever. What’s up with that? Can’t remember the last time I saw one in a magazine. I know I’m biased but man are they good looking cars. I’ll stop now, sorry for the rant.

• Like 8

No, good rant. I think all of us loyalists have said that at one time. The Monte will always be second to the chevelle. Chevelle and Camaro always get the attention. But now  those cars are unobtainable for a reasonable price. Plus a lot of the high end Monte’s got stripped to build chevelles. But due to price a lot of people are now migrating towards the Monte. 10-15 years ago you could find Monte’s cheap, not so much anymore. The car world is catching on. 

• Like 6

Exactly what Dennis said, I bought mine 15ish years ago for $4500.00 and was a driver when I bought it. But I have put a lot into it since then because it needed it but still doesn't need a full restoration. I think it's worth a little more now 😀

• Like 3

I consider myself a car snob 🤣But I'm an old car guy so I appreciate almost anything. Even have enjoyed talking with what I call the fast and furious group, after all we all just like cars. I'll walk past a trailer queen to talk with a guy whose car is in primer and the interior is still gutted. Yea some prices are out of this world but you can occasionally find a gem 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Just read Joes post and comments regarding the GM - UAW cruise that sparked me to get this off my chest. Hot Rod magazine coined the phrase, I think in the 80s or maybe early 90s “dare to be different” to promote the cars you just don’t see. Are we in that group? I’ve had my 69 Z/28 for 24 years and have been going to shows as a spectator 25 years prior to owning it. As you know, like tri five Chevys, first gen Camaros at shows are everywhere. Went to a big show out here in SoCal. 2500 cars and no first gens. I would have been the only one had my trans seal arrived on time. 1 second gen, I believe a 74. There was even an Edsel wagon. It was always apparent to me that they were few and far between, but now that I have finally replaced my first car (a 71 purchased in 74) it’s more apparent than ever. What’s up with that? Can’t remember the last time I saw one in a magazine. I know I’m biased but man are they good looking cars. I’ll stop now, sorry for the rant.

I bought mine 23 years ago first one 1700 .it need some work.now way different in price 

• Like 1