What mechanical fuel pump do you run, and. . .

Heckeng

Ok all, I am swapping out my electric fuel pump for a mechanical one to appease my better half due to her not appreciating the pump sounds.

So, I'm going to keep my nice new lines and everything, and put back in a mechanical pump and run AN lines to and from it. I was originally going to get a 170 gph carter pump, but I am pretty sure I don't need that much flow and I assume that having that much potential would just be more stress on the pump if you weren't using it. I am now looking at a relatively standard 110/120 gph pump from either Carter, Holley, or Edelbrock as I think it might be more reliable since its flow is more in line with what I probably need.

What are you guys running (or what have you run) and what has worked for you. Also, how fast were you able to go with that particular pump?

Have any of you had any bad pumps? I know Greg just had an incident with a Holley high flow pump so have any of the rest of you had issues?

AND, I will be putting my Mallory comp 140 electric pump and matching return style regulator for sale for $150 to anybody here, and if nobody is interested in that it will go on Ebay.

Thanks for any input!

I run a BG 110 gph 6 valve pump with a bottom plate from edelbrock for the feed in and feed out using the side.

Best of 7.68 in the 1/8 so far, suspension is not really set up for racing.

bone stock spec mech. pump from Advance autoparts. it's fed by 3/8's hardline and 3/8ths rubber hose. i run 3/8" hard line up to just above the water pump (makes clearing the belts and hoses and the alternator easier) then back to 3/8" hose to go into the fuel pressure reg next to the carb, and then out of the reg and into the single feed tube... when I go to a dual feed holley, the reg already has twin ports smile

so far, my best is 14.342 @ 95.41 on street tires with massive wheel spin.. expecting 13.9's this summer on the slicks :>

the pump is easily supporting 300hp thru a single feed (with transfer tube) 600cfm holley 4160.

i had to run the reg cuz the pump tends to spike up to 10psi or higher at times and flood the carb.

new_reg.jpg

this spring I want to replace the line between the pump and the reg with AN-8 as the first step towards a complete AN-8 fuel system :> and also get rid of those ugly brass pipe fittings.

Ok all, I am swapping out my electric fuel pump for a mechanical one to appease my better half due to her not appreciating the pump sounds.

So, I'm going to keep my nice new lines and everything, and put back in a mechanical pump and run AN lines to and from it. I was originally going to get a 170 gph carter pump, but I am pretty sure I don't need that much flow and I assume that having that much potential would just be more stress on the pump if you weren't using it. I am now looking at a relatively standard 110/120 gph pump from either Carter, Holley, or Edelbrock as I think it might be more reliable since its flow is more in line with what I probably need.

What are you guys running (or what have you run) and what has worked for you. Also, how fast were you able to go with that particular pump?

Have any of you had any bad pumps? I know Greg just had an incident with a Holley high flow pump so have any of the rest of you had issues?

AND, I will be putting my Mallory comp 140 electric pump and matching return style regulator for sale for $150 to anybody here, and if nobody is interested in that it will go on Ebay.

Thanks for any input!

Let me know what pump you get and how it works for you. I myself will be in the market for one to replace my stock with. Looking to see if I could get a mechanical that will support the motor and another 5psi for the nitrous

I'm running the one Greg had fail on him in both my Monte and Camaro. They do the trick- but as Greg found out, aftermarket quality. And I'm not a fan of electric pumps (I think you only really need them in the sub-10 et zone), but isn't there a way to run the plumbing on an electric pump so it won't make all that racket? Someone makes a "fuel pump manager" that slows & quiets the pump down at idle...

But I feel dirty giving you those ideas- aftermarket stuff is at best a necessary evil. As my sig says:

That's one of my top 2 Andreas. That is on your blown motor too?! That is pretty solid performance and 4 years is pretty good too. I have always run Carters (and they've been great) but they only have 1/4" NPT fittings which I think will restrict flow some. The Edelbrock and Holley 110 versions have 3/8" NPT though. I think my decision is between the Holley and Edelbrock.

the problem with a *SMALL*block monte, is that the fuel pump sits further back in the frame on a small block. Most larger aftermarket fuel pumps will not clear the engine cradle w/o modifications to the pump or the cradle...

big block montes have more room since the engine is larger and moves the pump forward.

Ah, yet another reason to go big. lol

lol

I ordered an Edelbrock RPM pump. If it is enough flow to work for Andreas' Blown Monte, it shouldn't have any problems at all with mine!

I have a used one I could sell you that is currently on my monte its dirty but works fine smile Im switching to a race pump so I dont need it anymore... If you cant return the one you just bought or dont want a used one its cool smile I also ran a 177 on mine and it worked fine.

Tom

Thanks Reaper, but I'll stick with the new one. Just trying to keep things clean looking in there, but I appreciate it.

You'll have to post on the racepump, Those are pretty neat with the self-regulating o-ring thing!