Body bushing question.

I replaced all my 70 Monte body busing 2yrs ago. Including the 2 real wheel area extra "SS" or Wagon/Camino bushing cakes.  I went with the rubber kit from OPGI. Is it normal for a garaged car (a Sunday driver and in only good weather) for the rubber on the lowers on some spots to already be cracking? I'm very surprised.  Makes me wonder if I should have gone poly or if the remnants of the copious amounts of PB blaster we sprayed (and let set for 24hrs on the old bolts) has caused rubber rot? 

See examples https://photos.app.goo.gl/CeWkgaQddLBdRTBWA

I used poly body bushings on mine when I rebuilt the car. No regrets at all, won't ever have to replace them again in my lifetime, and don't notice any harsh ride characteristics. I think I used Energy Suspension ones, and it took 2 kits to do the job right on our cars. One was a supplement kit. If you want part numbers, let me know and I'll dig them up.

• Like 2

Just for kicks I crawled under my 71, 3 years and still look like brand new. So I got really energetic and crawled under my 88, 18 years and still look like new. Quite possibly may be a quality issue of what was sold to you. 

• Like 3

It was from OPGI, this kit iirc https://www.opgi.com/chassis-suspension/bushings-mounts/1964-72-complete-body-bushing-kits1/bushing-kit-body-1968-72-chevcut-cpeel-cam-26-bushings-whardware-sb516k.html

The top biscuits look normal not split but some of the bottoms around the passenger driver areas are starting to split some as you can see in the pictures. Not sure what to think. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.

Im also wondering if that is the issue.  It just seems odd that that they would go splitting that fast. The top biscuits look normal and not cracked I'm wondering if I could just remove and replace the bottom ones that look crushed.  I hope the new bolts would come out easy and not spin a j-nut. I think I recall blasting PB blaster up in the open holes after we had the bolts out so it would stay lubed up in there for the new bolts. 

7 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I'll check this weekend, but your bushings look like they're cranked down in comparison to what I remember mine looking like. They only require about 40 lb-ft.

Someone corrected me if I’m wrong but I believe the washer will bottom out on the sleeve that goes through the bushing so the lower puck or bushing can only compress so far.