Classic Auto Air HVAC faceplate and controls retro mod

TheBMan

I purchased an A/C kit from Classic Auto Air but I wasn't happy with the appearance of the HVAC control unit faceplate; it looked too modern. I wanted something that was more era-appropriate for my 1970 so I made some changes.

First, I measured the faceplate and control slots from all directions. I then made a template in Adobe Illustrator and created the artwork that would go over top of the original CAA faceplate. I had them professionally printed and I cut the slots using an Exacto knife and straight edge.

Next, I asked a buddy of mine who has a laser cutting machine to use those measurements to cut a piece of thin acrylic plastic to go over top of the new faceplate artwork. I secured it with a very thin strip of tape that will be hidden behind the dash trim when installed.

I didn't like/want the black knobs that came with the CAA unit, so I bought new (reproduction) control knobs and drilled them for set screws.

I pieced it all together and viola! Something that's much more appropriate for 1970. I don't think a casual observer will even notice.

Attached are images of the original control unit/faceplate, the CAA unit before mods, the new artwork and clear faceplate cover and all pieced together.

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

• Like 8

That's a 1000% better than the plate they include in their kit. Also one of the reasons I didn't choose them when I re-did the A/C in my car at the time. There were a couple other things as well, but in my case it made sense to just get the Stage 3 kit from Classic Auto Air. 

Great Job!

• Like 2

Major difference! That looks so much better, and you’re right no one will know what you did. You’ll have to send  CAA a photo.

• Like 1

Nice work, Bryan!  That is the first time I have seen their digital control panel.  They sure didn't try to make it look period-correct or anything close!  Your design is far superior!  There must be real advantages to the digital controls but the manual controls that were available when I installed my CAA system in 2010 had a stock (non-AC) control appearance and used control levers and cables like the stock system.  I had heard they no longer offered manual controls - bummer.  At least they should adopt your design for their faceplate.

B6 Control Panel.jpg

• Like 3

That looks so much better! The talent in this group never ceases to amaze me. Great Job Bryan!

• Like 2