printers

monte70car

Guys need a little help on this which would work the best for me a laser printer or a inkjet printer? The printer will be mainly used for school work black and white docs. The printer will be in a bedroom which stays at a dry 74 degrees. Which printer would be the best in the long run? I currently print off a ink jet that is used by 3 other computers. I used to have a inkjet printer in the bedroom but the ink would dry out in a matter of weeks. I have an old school laser jet printer that needs toner and I have two inkjets laying around.

Laser Printers cost a bit more to purcahse, but per-page they're the cheapest to print with.

Example: the black ink cartridge in my Epson Stylus CX6000, is about $30, and under my average printing conditions, it might last a couple of months.

The Laser Toner cartridge for my HP P1006 is about $70, but lasts me nearly 2 years at a time..

The laser is the only choice for mailing lables, as inkjet will run if it gets wet.

inkjet can print on some special materials easier because it doesn't get hot like a laser..

Laser is typically faster at printing, although there are some inkjet printers that you just about need a catchers mit with smile

my epson prints quick.. but when you first turn it on.. it needs 2-3 minutes to run through it's 'start up' cycle which is really annoying.. the P1006 only needs about 5-8 seconds..

(so I just never turn the epson off)

Tim I'm looking at a hp p1006 Staples has it on sale for $99 then, they will take another $10 if you buy a replacement toner cartridge. One class I have 1400 pages to print (text book) my other class has slides which the teacher said is good information to have. The current laser printer we have is a Sharp JX-9400 and the toner cartridge for it is out and no one carries it local. I did find it online but price wise I think a new one would be a better option. Would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a box of paper vs. a pack of paper?

I have had a Samsung ML2510 for about 4 years and am on the second toner. If I were printing out 1400 pages I would take it to kinko's or staples and have them print it, no cheap printer is going work long printing that kind of job.

A ream (bag) of paper is about 500 pages whereas a box of paper is around 5000 pages (10 reams). It usually is cheaper per page to buy the box and it doesnt hurt to have it sitting around.

I have a HP laserjet 1018 that I bought a year ago and im still using the free cartidge that comes with it. I have also printed a full box of paper through it so far.

P.S. My fiance works at Staples and she says that they wont copy more than 10% of a book for copyright reasons. You may be able to do it self-serve there but it might take you a while.

I have an HP Photosmart 1218 - it was our first printer - have had it about 6 years now. I will never own another Hp again - ink cartridges are way too costly.

In the future I hope to get one of the new Kodak Printers - reviews seem pretty mixed so I hope I get one that works good when the time comes! At least their ink costs alot less!

Caps, don't be hatin' on H.P ink cartridges are very expensive for any printer!

it's well over $100 to replace all 4 carts. in my epson!

this is why I have a laser printer for my day to day stuff.

as for printing photos.. it's much cheaper to take your memory card to wally world (Wal mart) and let them print the pics for you.

Consider an Epson Stylus.. I LOVE mine for color.. and it's also a nice scanner and photocopier, it comes with a multi-format card reader too!

my stylus can print pics right off the cameras memory card w/o using a computer.

brought the hp 1006 from staples the free toner that was in it made it to 500 pages before it kicked the bucket. i did buy an extra tonner for $70 and i have made it up to page # 900 and something. brought a box of paper 2500 count from bj's this morning along with black ink($51 for two things of black) for the hp v-40 office jet. it is a very quick printer and fits in the hole by my computer/tv/game center which is a plus. now i need my other computers to find the desk top that its hooked to they can print to it as well.