transmission fluid change question

Guest Orangehat44

Guest Orangehat44

So i found this quite interesting. We own a Chiltons 1970-78 manual and the monte service manual. I have a turbo 350 tranny. In the chiltons it describes tranny fluid change as: drop the pan (save for the back bolts) so it will hang and drain. then for remove the stainer or filter ( it states most 350's have throw away filters) replace filter and gasket. replace pan and fill fluid. whats interesting is in the service manual it states there is a drainage plug and all you do is drain and fill. and mentions nothing about a filter.

I get under my car and cant find anything that resembles a drainage plug so i assume i the chiltons is right and the service manual isnt in my case. Has anyone else experienced this. Is there a throw away filter to buy? I was just alittle confused with the complete difference in information.

Thanks

My 71 350 has a drain plug! I guess I have a rare car!

Bruce

Im going to have to check my pan to see if I have a plug, I never really noticed. I want to do a flush on it very soon, my buddies at the local shop said if I bring the stuff, 20 bucks and they will hook it up to the machine and flush it and replace the filter as well. Cant beat that!

Guest Orangehat44

thanks guys i just thought it was funny that the 71 service manual says theres a plug and everyone else says its most likly the whole pan removal and thats exactly what i did. ( sure woulda been quicker and less of a mess if it was a plut smile not to mention i was in a bit of a time cruch) but got it done and thats all that matters right? thanks for the help guys!

What amazed me was the pile of "perhaps" aluminum sludge on the bottom of my pan the first time I pulled it off at around 30,000 miles. My original filter was torn so it wasn't doing much filtering! Now it's got 140,000 and the trans still shifts fine but does have a few leaks. I did have to replace the torque converter because a weld was leaking after 115,000 miles.

Bruce

Some of the early trannys came with the plug, others did not. I would still want to change the filter if it was mine. Not a big job, but can get messy!

At work, we use a machine to flush trannys. Hook it to the cooler lines, and do a 1-1 flush. No filter replacements.