Electric Fuel Pumps

Chevyss

When installing a electric fuel pump, where is the best location?? From all that I've heard is, mount as close to the fuel tank as possible. How true is this?? What problems would a person encounter if he mounted it 1/2 way up the frame?? Just curious. Thanks for the replies in advance

Your correct in that ya need to mount it as close to the to the tank as possible.You should also mount it as low as possible. Electric pumps are much better at pushing than pulling. I fabed a bracket and have it threaded through the tank strap bolt on the right side. I also plumbed in a return style regulator using the original supply line (3/8"). The pump has worked great for the last three years of street strip duty.

To answer your question if you mounted the pump halfway up the frame the pump would really have to work hard and it would more than likley shorten the life of the pump and your fuel pressure might not be consistent.

David

When installing a electric fuel pump, where is the best location?? From all that I've heard is, mount as close to the fuel tank as possible. How true is this?? What problems would a person encounter if he mounted it 1/2 way up the frame?? Just curious. Thanks for the replies in advance

Royce I've used both locations and never really had trouble with either. I did change the one that was half way up the frame to the rear location like the other car. Conventional wisdom is most likely that the rear location allows the system to under pressure for the entire distance. I'm sure there are others with stronger views and experience but up until these two cars I really never got involved with electric pumps. Dave grin

Thanks 2 Daves

I guess my installer and I will have a talk tomorrow. General concensus is as close to the tank as you can get it. Hope to have it done by Tues. I want to take it to Hot August Nights in Lewiston, ID.

Thanks again for all your help.

The best setup for an electric fuel pump is to have a sumped gas tank and to mount the fuel pump as close to the supply as possible. The optimal method is to have the fuel gravity fed to the fuel pump so it can be pushed to the carb. The pic below still shows that in my setup, the gravity feed is eliminated at about half empty and some pulling will occur. I also mounted the pump and filter to the frame rail using spacers and the existing holes.

Remember, with an electric fuel pump, it is wise to have a filter between the tank and pump and the pump and carb. In my setup, I have a filter in three locations. Between the tank and pump, pump and regulator, and between the regulator and carb. Hopefully no dirt problems here.

Before I installed the sumped tank, I was pulling fuel from the original sender, but, still had the fuel pump located on the back frame rail.

My setup includes, Mallory 110 fuel pump, with Mallory 140 filter, and Mallory 4309 3 port regulator. Yes, its all mallory except two of the fuel filter. It was told to me that fuel is the only thing Mallory does right. I don't know, but my fuel pump is quiet and so far works great.

IMG_0390.jpg

I followed the recommendations made to me by (502ci) Bill. His system has worked for a long time. I'm not going to go with a sumped tank. Replacing the sending unit supplied by Robbmac performance. Bill said that would work. The sending unit has -10AN fittings. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them.

When I first started it a elec. fuel pump we put it in the engine bay, one of the issue we had was the car would cutoff vapor lock. My current pump is close to the tank but sits above the tank no issue with it like that. Fuel fliter is a wise choice as Dave said i have two on my before the pump and after the pump where it goes up to the regulator. Also a regulator should be run as the elec. pump will put out more fuel then a stock pump. And run a PSI gauge I happen to run two 006-5.jpg the inline one and the one in the fuel log both show the same psi.

I see everyone gave good info on keeping it close to the pick-up point as possible...that Aeromotive A1000 is a powerful pump. You wanna try and keep it low as possible too...seeing how you are using a "stock location" pick-up point I don't see mounting the pump lower than the tank would be necessary but try and get it at least even with it. Although mine is mounted 5" higher than my pick-up point and have never had an issue, even ran my pump dry several times on accident and still no problem.

Working on the car this AM. What we decided to do is mount the just above the tank, run a line to the A1000 filter, over to the frame, 90 % it and run forward. We will try it like that and see how it goes for a few days. I think it will be OK. I sure if it doesn't I'll have a Monte for sale CHEAP. Suppose to finish tomorrow and we'll see. Wish us luck.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hey Royce, I forgot to mention on the by-pass regulator you have...the vacuum port for the future supercharger to just leave it open or cap it off for now. I talked to an Aeromotive tech when I did mine and he said to just leave it uncapped but he then added I could cap it if i wanted to but stated again it would make no difference.

Working on the car this AM. What we decided to do is mount the just above the tank, run a line to the A1000 filter, over to the frame, 90 % it and run forward. We will try it like that and see how it goes for a few days. I think it will be OK. I sure if it doesn't I'll have a Monte for sale CHEAP. Suppose to finish tomorrow and we'll see. Wish us luck.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Luck!!! you don't need no stinkin' luck.....it's gonna work Royce... grin

besides you can't sell the car....we have a race date..... shifter

mounting that pump above the tank can cause it to lose prime and won't pick-up fuel after the car sits for a while (ask me how I know this lol )

I strongly advise against mounting it that high

Also, the vacuum boost Bill is refering to, leave it unplugged. Do not put a cap on it. It is either to have vacuum boost or left unplugged. - Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest RED70MC

I am building a 496 this winter, about 700HP. I need to run an electric fuel pump with a 10AN line to the regulator and will be running (2) 6AN to the 1050 carb. I need to put a new tank in anyway, but I was wondering where you got the sump tank.

I need to put a new tank in anyway, but I was wondering where you got the sump tank.

I'm sure Dave made it or had it made...I searched the internet a couple years ago extensively and was amazed they did not make one that you could buy already made up.

Ian, thanks for the link to Summit's gas tank. I'm doing ok right now with what I have, but if I have anymore problems I will go with a brand new tank and change the routing of the hoses.

There is always this one... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHR-4071/ not cheap but stainless steel smile

I saw that one back before Summit started carrying it but couldn't bring myself to shell out that much money, plus it doesn't look stock...granted a sump sticking out of a stock tank doesn't either... wink

Originally Posted By: RED70MC
I need to put a new tank in anyway, but I was wondering where you got the sump tank.

I'm sure Dave made it or had it made...I searched the internet a couple years ago extensively and was amazed they did not make one that you could buy already made up.

The way I went is probably the cheapest way if all new parts are used. I bought a new stock tank from Summit ($180) and a moroso sump kit for ($60). I had a welder do the install and test the tank for a mere $60. Throw in the AN fittings and Earl's black braided hose and I believe I spent a total off around $400 total. I used the stock sending unit for the gas gauge purpose. I also used the old outlet portion of the sending unit as the return line from the fuel regulator. If your stock sending unit has a return line, it is probably not big enough to use as a return line as it is only a 5/16" line. That is why I used the output line of the sending unit as it is 3/8". Keep in mind ,I am running a small block with all 3/8" lines. If this is going into a big block and you are running 1/2" line, your return line should be the same size or bigger. - Dave