which tranny is better?

stickshift

Which tranny is better M21, M22, or super T10.

here's my vote...if you want a smooth, quiet, easy shifting trans the M21 (or M20 if you want a wide ratio).....don't mind some noise and need something strong...M22....guess that leaves the super T10, my experience with them has not been super.... grin

I purchased my tranny about 15 years ago. I was told that it was an M22 Rock Crusher out of an SS Chevelle. I did not find out that it was not until about two years ago when I replaced my clutch. When we droped the tranny my mechanic looked at it and said "thats not an M22, thats a Super T10". It has been in my monte since 1996.It has a Center Force Duel Friction Clutch Kit, and a Hurst comp shifter with a pistol grip that I rigged up. If I ever replace it it will be with 5 speed.019.jpg100_0449.jpg

Hi...

I have an M22 in my 70...the car has a 12 bolt 3.73 posi. The M21 and the M22 have the same gear ratios...however, the M22 has "straighter" cut, stronger gears, thus the whirring noise in the first 3 gears. 4th gear, however, is nice and quiet, so the whirring noise does not exist in 4th gear (direct).

I do not have any personal experience with the T10 and/or the Super T10, so I cannot comment on their durability.

Regarding your question, I guess it would depend upon the rearend that you have or plan on having. Being that I have the 3.73 ratio, the M22 (M21 would be the same) is "acceptable" for city, streetlight, stop sign driving. If I had anything (numerically lower) than a 3.73 rearend, such as a 3.42, 3.08, etc. I would go with the M20 and/or a Super T10, as the M21/M22 would not be fun to drive in stop and go traffic. I do know that the T10's had more gear ratio options, so if you have like a 2.73, 3.08, etc. rearend, you might be better off with a T10 from a gear aspect. Recently, I see that you can now get "wide" and custom ratio M21/M22's as well...so I guess it boils down to if you like to sound "cool", and have more HP, with the M22 vs. the M21.

Maybe somebody with a T10/Super T10 can chime in here and give their opinion on them.

Here is a good website for the Muncies:

Muncie

And here is some limited info on the T10's:

Super T10

I went with the M22 because I have always wanted one - I love the sound of the gears whining in the first 3 gears. I also went with the M22 because of the stronger gears. The only downside is that I am turning 3,000+ RPM above 70 MPH - but, I mostly drive the car within the city, which is extremely fun!

I hope this helps you out.

I purchased my tranny about 15 years ago. I was told that it was an M22 Rock Crusher out of an SS Chevelle. I did not find out that it was not until about two years ago when I replaced my clutch. When we droped the tranny my mechanic looked at it and said "thats not an M22, thats a Super T10". It has been in my monte since 1996.It has a Center Force Duel Friction Clutch Kit, and a Hurst comp shifter with a pistol grip that I rigged up. If I ever replace it it will be with 5 speed.019.jpg

what's the question then????

I was just curious as to what was the best between the three. As for as the 5 speed goes, thats just wishful thinking. I work for the department of corrections, I just can aford to dream about this stuff.LOL. Any extra money that I save will go toward building the big block that I have my eye on, but thanks for the info.

I was just curious as to what was the best between the three. As for as the 5 speed goes, thats just wishful thinking. I work for the department of corrections, I just can aford to dream about this stuff.LOL. Any extra money that I save will go toward building the big block that I have my eye on, but thanks for the info.

gotcha Ken....

With a big car like ours the lower first gear in the M-21 will benefit you off the line, unless you already have a low gear in the rear. That is why our cars came with the M-21 in the first place.

I think you mean the M20 Dan, the M20 has the deeper first gear and what came installed in monte's

Originally Posted By: Dans '70 Z20
With a big car like ours the lower first gear in the M-21 will benefit you off the line, unless you already have a low gear in the rear. That is why our cars came with the M-21 in the first place.

I think you mean the M20 Dan, the M20 has the deeper first gear and what came installed in monte's

Yep, Once again I stand corrected. I meant the M-20 but my typing skills and lack of sleep got the best of me. LOL