Engine build code

willie

I have a '71SS with no engine. I think i have a chance to pick up a date coded block. My problem is the date code on my trim tag says 12B. When did they change the casting #s from 512 to 289? Did they wait till midnight the 31 of Dec. How can i find this out? Does anyone know the answer? Thanks Willie

Year One doesnt know when they stopprd using the 512 and started the 289. I have the book it also doesnt state when it was changed over , it just says 70 and 71 have 512 and 72 and up have 289. Maybee someone else out there has a Dec built 71ss. What is your molded block say??????? Help Willie

A December car is not a late build. Production started late July/early August of 71 for introduction and start of sales in September of 71. December 71 build would be 1/3 of the way through the model build. Sometimes a newer part was used at the very end of the model year, early July built cars, when the current parts ran out, but this would be rare and would not affect all assembly plants. I made frames for 33 years and we would build out the current frames in late June, run some prototype frames for early testing, close the lines for two weeks in early July for retooling, and start running new model frames in late July for shipping to the assembly plants so they could start building the new model cars.

Wouldn't he be looking for a Sept to Dec 1970 casting? The 71 model cars were introduced in Fall 70. A December 1971 car should be a 1972 model car. My 1970 Monte was built in Dec 1969. I agree it should be the 3963512 block, that's what was in my 71 SS Monte.