Is this posi worth it?

201fireman

I am looking for a new rear end with posi for my 72. I found one for sale but have a couple questions. It is a 10 bolt with 3:42 gears and they want $370 for it. It is set up for coils and drums. Can anyone tell me if it is worth this price and if it will fit?

I guess it would depend on how much power you planned on putting through it. What rear do you have right now, and what are your plans for motor and trans?

Thats a good price, by there price I'm sure they'll take less.

If you're only gonna have a stock engine, it will be fine.

I sank almost $2500 in my 12 bolt...But wer'e talking strong strong stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

double check the ratio... 3.42 was a 10 bolt 8.5 rear not the 10 bolt 8.2 normally found in monte carlo chevelle el camino chevy rears. This might be a Buick or Olds rear with bolt in axles and require a drive shaft shortening modification of about 3/4" to fit ...But it would be a strong rear diff and you have bolt in axle shaft ready for racing. We build alot of these 71 72 rears for the Buick guys and they run 455 modified engine with GOBS of torque. We do usually replace the 28 stock axles with 30 spline custom Moser axles for the race application.

An posi alone on ebay or craigslist is 200-300 alone... your getting a whole rear for almost that. Worse case you resell the parts and make money...lol Jim

Jim, was the BOP 12 Bolts simular in that it would require shortening of the drive shaft? I got a 12 bolt posi with 3.73's from a friend and when I put it in my Monte I had to get the drive shaft shortened... come to think of it I beleive it came out of his 72 Olds Cutless.

• 2 weeks later...

No all 10 bolt bolt BOP or chevy 10 or 12 bolt rear interchange with nothing more than a u-joint swap. THE ONLY rear that will require drive shaft modifications shortening or lengthening(depending on which way you are swapping) IS 10 BOLT 8.5 REAR FROM A 1971 1972 SKYLARK OR OLDS CUTLASS.

12 BOLT OLDS, 10 BOLT 8.2 PONTIAC BUICK OR OLDS ALL USE THE SAME 1330 YOKE

12 BOLT CHEVY CAN BE HAD WITH A BOP YOKE SMALL 1310 CHEVY YOKE AND 1330 CHEVY YOKE. (MOST VERSATILE REAR FROM GM)

10 BOLT CHEVY ALWAYS USED THE 1310 SMALL YOKE WITH EITHER U-BOLT OR STRAPS AND 4 BOLTS.

10 BOLT 8.5 USED ALWAYS 2 STRAPS AND 4 BOLTS WITH A MECHR3 1330 YOKE EXCEPT FOR THE NOVA 8.5 WHICH AGAIN HAD THE SMALL 1310 CHEVY U-JOINT YOKE.

Confused yet? lol. just ask I will help you. smile Jim